Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #1 
ifish

Exclamation a bigger tank

hey guys

im ice and i was woundering since my tank is preaty small its not even a gallon i am going to buy a 2 gallon tank but will the fish go into shock will that my fish seems to like my small tank but i wanna know about how much a 2 gallon nice tank is i have 114$ and i have 1 fish
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #2 
onekatietwo

Yay! I bet your fish will love a bigger tank.

I know that I got a 5 gallon tank kit for 30 dollars at walmart. It came with a heater, filter, light, and even water conditioner and some food. Basically, it came with everything you need.
If you wanted to go a bit smaller, it would probably be a little bit cheaper. I personally like the kits because then you don't have to worry about buying a heater or light separately. A light isn't really mandatory, but it sure does make it more fun, especially if your aquarium is in a dark room.

Your fish will definitely not go into shock as long as you make sure that the water is conditioned before you put him in the new tank AND make sure that the temperature is the same as the old tank (or at least very similar.) In fact, I bet your fish will be really excited to explore a larger world.

Just shop around. If you get ONLY a tank with no heater or light or anything, it will be REALLY cheap. Like under 10 or 5 dollars. With everything, you might find something around 20 dollars. It just depends.

You can also check garage sales and stuff like that. Or maybe ask your friends. If you have myspace or facebook, post a message that you want a tank. A lot of people have old ones in their garages that they just don't feel like using anymore and they might give it to you for free.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #3 
froglady

I agree with onekatietwo a bigger tank would make your fish very happy. my betta loves his five gallon. makes bubble nests. hes happy.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #4 
Campbell

Haha, I got a tank from posting a mysapce bulletin. One of my friends had a 20 gallon long just kinda sitting in his basement. I used it for a leopard gecko though.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #5 
ifish

but how much betta plau do i put in on a 5 gallon tank and like mine is very smell bottle
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #6 
JingleAllTheWay

How much betta plau?
If you are talking about water conditioner, which I assume you are, then it should say on the bottle how much to add.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #7 
TianTian

I upgraded Tian-Tian (my male veil tail) from a 1.5 gal. tank to a 2.5 gal tank. He has no filter in it, but he does have a heater and I use both water conditioner and aquarium salts when I do water changes.

Bigger tanks are always better for Bettas. :D Tian-Tian's current 2.5 gal. tank is glass and it only cost me $11.45 USD at Petsmart. (way cheaper than the original it I bought for him) I had to buy the small heater separate, but it works great and I've got no problem with it. He gets natural, indirect sunlight for most of the day and in the evenings I turn the light on in my room. When I sleep at night I turn all lights out (I've done this since I bought him and I know the pet store does the same thing at night).

Despite a few hiccups with his health (he was in poor condition to begin with and I've nursed him back to heath since then), he's quite the happy little fish. :) (Right now he's flaring at me and strutting around his tank as I type this)

Bottom line: Bigger is better and, if you shop right, cheaper, too! Good luck!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #8 
silverd

Hey if you were looking for a 3 gallon there is one a Wal-mart that comes with everything except heater, gravel, and plants. (but those can run cheap, my heater was $10 and the gravel was about $3) It even has a whisper filter that your fish may or may not like, just depends, but again you can still find filters if you want a 'softer' flow so to speak. My fish loves the filter, and enjoys the tank. The kit is $30 for the tank, light, filter, etc. There is also a 1.5 gallon version of the same tank with all included for around $15 both a Wal-mart. For the heater, I would recomend something that is self regualting that you can also set, I don't think they have the one I have at wal-mart. I tried one of the ones at Wal-mart but it only kept my tank at 76 degrees automatically and there was not way to adjust the temperature. Mine you set at specific temp and then it maintains that temperature. So, now my temp usually stays a 78-80. Much better! When I get home I will look at my heater name and let you know...
silverd is offline   Reply With Quote