Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #1 
ifish

Exclamation 3 gallon tank

hiya im ice

my looking to buy a 2 - 3 gallon tank but dose it have to be made for betta fish or can it just be a 2 - 3 gallon tank for any fish and with a 2 - 3 gallon tank how much water conditoner do i put in my pet store only sell betta plus and its in such a small bottle for small tanks what should i do hiow much should i put in ill post a picture of it later
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #2 
onekatietwo

With any conditioner, it will say on the bottle how much to put it in. On some bottles, you have to peel a bit of the lable away because the directions are printed on the back. We can't tell you how much, because it is different for each conditioner. Most brands are different and they may be more or less concentrated.

If you're just keeping a Betta, it shouldn't matter too much what type of conditioner you use. They make some that are marketed specifically to Betta owners and I have had good experience with those in my brief time owning Bettas.

Generally, you add very little conditioner. The one I'm using now it just about a teaspoon per gallon. The one I used previously was even less.

Definitely read the directions.

Oh, actually, I just checked and the one I am using now is Betta plus. If you look on the right hand lower corner, there is a "peel here" spot that says "info" and on the back it has the directions.

For Nutrafin Betta plus, you're supposed to add about one capful per gallon.

You're right that it's very small, but I have a 5 gallon tank and my fish got sick so I was doing VERY frequent water changes (50-100 percent every day) and it's STILL lasted about 2 weeks or a bit more.

If you only have a 2 or 3 gallons it will probably last at least a month.

But again, just always read the directions on the bottle.

You could probably also get away with adding slightly less than it says on the bettaplus one. Like 3/4 of a capful per gallon, but don't go any less than that.

And also, not to be rude, but you'll probably get more help on this forum if you use punctuation in your posts. They're somewhat difficult to read...
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #3 
JingleAllTheWay

You don't have to use Betta Plus.
I use AquaSafe put out by Tetra:
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10312991
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #4 
ifish

thanks guys what do i need in a 2 - 3 gallon tank like im looking for a kit with a filter and what elise
Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #5 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish View Post
thanks guys what do i need in a 2 - 3 gallon tank like im looking for a kit with a filter and what elise

With 2-3 gallons, the most important thing is going to be a heater, not a filter.
Bare minimum, you will want the tank, heater, water conditioner and food (make sure the food is designed for Bettas. They don't do well on typical tropical fish feed)

Some 'extras' you probably want are a hood with a light and a filter. After that you want decorations and hiding places for your betta. Something at the bottom looks nice: rocks, gravel, glass gems, etc etc. They also have tons of decorations at just about all fish/pet stores)

But yeah, if you are looking for a kit, just go to the pet store and say "I'm looking for an aquarium starter kit that is 2 or more gallons and comes with at least a heater. They should be able to help you from there. However, be carefully about trusting everything they say on the care of your Betta. Some of them are somewhat misinformed.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #6 
ifish

thanks my food is made by nurtafin for betta

and the kit i think im getting comes with a tank , gravel , a fliter and im gonna buy a heater and a thremoter

but how do i use a fliter
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would go with pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #8 
ifish

whats the diffrence? ive had a bad past with oellets my betta fish didnt see then sink and he died so i prefer flakes just to be safe they dont sink
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hikari betta bio gold pellets float so he shouldn't have any problem with them. Most people on the forum use them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #10 
ifish

are they more expensive my store i think only had flakes can my fish live a healthy and happy life on flakes