Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #1 
Elisew

Betta sticking head into the stones....normal?

Hi again Guys,

It looks like I need to call on your experiences and advice again please.

The newest of my Bettas Chimlin has taken to sticking his head right into the stones on the bottom of the tank. He`s started to look really pale too and seems to want to `sleep` tucked away all the time.
The heater in the tank has taken some fiddling about with and I think I`ve managed to get the water to approx 84. I`ve done a 90% water change today, reading the advice on here I thought it best to keep the water as clean as possible in case Chimlin does have something wrong with him that maybe he shouldn`t.

Is this `normal` behaviour for a Betta or need I be worried that there`s something wrong?

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 
Elisew

To add to the above.....
I`ve just noticed that Chimlin has some sort of white stuff on him.....looks like a powdery kind of film on him. I`ve taken some photos to try and show as best as I can what I mean:

This is how he spends most of his day:

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #3 
Nataku

Definitely looks like ich to me. Better put some salt in the tank and get some meds (something with formalin and/or malachite green in it will do, I like using Quick Cure, but work with what you can find) to start a treatment regimen or you'll have a dead fish in your tank pretty quick.
Remove the rocks and decorations of the tank, they are only acting as a great place for the tomites (the 'egg' equivelant of the ich protozoa) to lay until they hatch again and attach themselves to the fish. They will need to be thoroughly washed and left out to dry for at least 48 hours. They also need to be removed because the medication you will be using on the fish can and will stain decorations.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #4 
Elisew

Thanks for your prompt reply Nataku!!

I`ve just completely emptied the tank and have washed it out with water as hot as my hands could take. Should I continue to put conditioner in the water before I put Chimlin back in? I googled ich just after your reply and it says that I should add salt to the water....what kind of salt? I don`t have any aquarium salt at home

I`m more worried now because the lines of colour that were a gorgeous pink have now turned a blood red colour on his fins and tail.....does this mean that the ich has advanced too far??

I`m sorry for all the questions but I feel all panicky now, I really want to be able to sort this, for Chimlins sake obviously more than mine

Lise x
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Use aquarium salt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #6 
Elisew

I don`t have any aquarium salt at home dramaqueen and there`s nowhere open now where I can get some
Old 04-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #7 
Nataku

*kicks browser for eating my first attempt at posting this*

Aquarium salt is the best thing to use, but if you do not have any available and can't get to a store to go pick some up I recommend looking in your cupboards to see if you have any 'kosher' or rock salt. This will also work. If you have none of that, then our last alternative is normal iodized table salt. Iodized or not does not matter to the fish, it is the anti-caking agents in the salt that cause us to normally not recommend using this on fish, as it can bind to their gills and make if more difficult for them to breath. If you have the bottle the salt came in, look up the ingredients and see what they put in it. Obviously this should not be used over any long terms due to it's risks, and a water change and proper aquarium salt added as soon as you can get some is the best way to go.

I don't know what 'pink lines' you are referring to? The 'ich' itself can be seen as the white spots forming all over the fish. It is not uncommon for a sick fish to loose/change color and become very pale.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #8 
Elisew

*kicks herself too for not having aquarium salt*

I do have some rock salt Nataku, how much would you recommend that I use?
I now have Chimlin in a totally empty tank with approx 12/14 litres of warm water and the heater on the wall of the tank.

Chimlin is a pale pink with slightly darker pink colouring on his fins and tail normally but I`ve noticed that the normal coloring has begun to turn to a blood red colour instead, much darker than normal. Is it a sign that the ich is very advanced?

Is this something that he could have had when I bought him, just not noticeable? I only got him 4 days ago

Thanks again for being so prompt with your replies.

Lise x
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #9 
Nataku

I'd treat with rock salt same as I do with aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon. Watch him closely when you add it though and for the next several hours afterwards, most fish take it pretty well, some fish throw utter hiss fits over the change in water parameters. If he reacts very poorly, then its a 50% water change to reduce the amount of salt, put in fresh un-salted water, and see if he tolerates this half-dose any better.

Considering you've only had him four days, the light pink body and darker pink fins could very well not even be his real coloring. Bettas are notorious for changing colors when being brought home from the store. Because of the short time frame between being in the store and this illness, I'm going to go ahead and say this fish already probably had ich when he was in the store, and it's only becoming more apparent now, several days later (because the amounts of spotting we're showing in those pictures say this is a pretty sick fish who ahs had ich for more than a couple days). When I've brought home bettas with ich, I just disregard any changes in body coloration as a diagnostic sign, because I don't know if that was the fish's real color to begin with, or how much of it was from poor qater quality/disease. The things you should be watching for are the spots, and the betta's overall behavoir and gill movement. If he makes it through treatment, then worry about what color he ends up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #10 
Elisew

Ok I`ve added the salt, slightly over 3 tsp for the 12/14 ltrs of water, he seems to be ok with it at the moment but I`ll keep my eye on him....it`s gonna be a late night but I won`t be going to bed for a while yet!

I`m not bothered about what colouring he`ll turn out to be, he`s gorgeous no matter what colour he is, I was just a bt worried about the blood red colouring, hoping it wasn`t this ich (parasite) doing him too much damage.
I`ll be making sure that the first port of call in the morning is the LFS to get the correct treatment for him, I really don`t want him to suffer any longer than is humanly possible.

Thankyou ever so much Nataku for your help and advice, I really do appreciate it.

Lise x