Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #1 
onekatietwo

Very small CFL?

I have some plants in my aquarium and it doesn't get too much natural sunlight and the only light I have on it is a somewhat weak incandescent light from the hood. Since I've added some more plants, I started putting my CFL desk lamp next to the tank and leaving it on during the day so the plants get enough light.

Florescent lights are sufficient for plants to grow, right? Also, do they make any tiny CFLs that I could just screw into my hood? I think my hood socket is rated for 25 Watts and under.

Am I just going to have to buy a new hood with a florecent bar built in? Do they even MAKE those for five gallons?

Roughly how much would this cost?

If I am going to be buying a new hood, I might be able to just upgrade to a 10 gallon tank. I have the tank and everything for it besides a hood. I just need to figure out if the stand that I use (a crappy compressed particle board book shelf) would be able to hold it.

I know it's a lot of questions, many of which I could probably answer myself through some further research, but I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me. :)
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #2 
Kim

Flourescent is good for plants if it is the right spectrum.

If you have incandescent bulbs in your hood right now you can just replace them with compact flourescent bulbs in the 6700K (kelvin) range. They should fit in the same fixture. 25 watts is plenty for a 5 gallon.

They do make hoods for the tube flourescent lights (I have one) but my fixture at least isn't rated for much light at all. The bulb that fits in it is only 8 watts, so I don't bother growing anything in there.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote