Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #1 
Linds

Lights & plants.

First off, I live in a bachelor (aka a very small three room) apartment with a giant south facing window that provides tons of natural light, regardless of weather conditions. My tank light would be on for about 15 hours of the day. I decided to keep the tank light off for a few days and just remember to open the curtains to provide the tank with the most natural light allowable from sun up to sun down (about 15 hours). The tank light would only be on for an hour for feeding, at some point after sun down. I had chosen to do so because I thought the lighting might have been the cause of a problem I was having with the tank. Everything has been fine for the past week or so that this has been done. There have been improvements to my delight in some displeasing conditions.
The plants (Anubias something, and an unknown type) are doing well and the fish are great. Would be just fine to continue this? You can see the amount of light the tank is exposed to on a cloudy day here, http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=22202&page=13.
Is the tank light needed for certain things that sunlight cannot provide?

Many thanks.
Linds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #2 
froglady

Hi I try and keep my tank light on for at least 12 hours a day. but may be less for other tanks. with certain plants. hope someone on here has some ideas.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote