Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 
NaomiiSmith

Wink Can You Keep Male & Female Bettas Together?

Im confused
Iv been told by pet shops you can keep male and female bettas together as long as you have at least two females per one male.
But some other stores have told me to place the female in for only a day or two at a time??

Flame is in a 10gallon tank on his own at the moment, untill i find out if he can have a lady friend :D
x
NaomiiSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

No, it is not a good idea to put males and females together, unless you plan on breeding. Bettas are aggressive and will kill each other. Even when breeding, you have to do a lot of research and planning before going through with it. I would leave Flame by himself. You could get a female and put her in her own tank and put it by his but I wouldn't put them together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #3 
NaomiiSmith

Ok, I was only looking to give him some company as he seems to be slightly lonely at the moment. :(
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know why petstores tell people that they can live together. They're called fighting fish for a reason.He'll be ok by himself but, like I said, you could get another one, male or female, and put their tanks where they can see each other and "interact" with each other without hurting each other.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #5 
NaomiiSmith

I know, i never take any advice from petstores unless i have researched it further.
they dont care about the aftercare of the fish...its all about the profits!!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, thats for sure. I was told to change the water when it got cloudy.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #7 
Livelifelaughlove

you couldn't put a female in with in a 10 gallon? even if there is alot of hiding places? *question, not arguing*

try putting some tetras in or something else without a tail
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could have a sorority of females in a 10 gallon, with lots of plants and hiding places. I wouldn't try males and females together. Bettas are territorial and sooner or later, someone will be hurt or killed.I know you're not arguing. :)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 
NaomiiSmith

So i was just asking if i could put a female in with flame, weird thing is i woke up this morning and he's built a bubblenest :S
Haha, must have heard me speaking about a ladyfriend.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #10 
Nataku

Males are unfortunately too territorial for company most of the time, even other females of the same species. Many people don't seem to realize females are just as territorial as the males, even if they aren't as showy about it, they'll still shred some fins or worse over territory.
Even if a male and female were placed together and they got along for the time being, once they spawned together, the male would drive off the female because of it's instincts to protect the eggs (female bettas are known to eat the eggs, even their own) and one or the other would likely end up dead over the matter. On the same note, if you do stick them together, they will breed (fish will be fish) and then you'll shortly have hundreds of fish fry in your tank too. What would you do about that? They would have to be cared for if you intended upon keeping any of them, and would need tanks of their own quite soon as they grow up and then become territorial themselves. Then again, that's if they manage to grow up, both male and female bettas are known to eat their own fry within a couple days of their hatching. 0_o;

I hear females can be kept together in sorority tanks, which generally consist of at least a 10 gallon tank with 4-6 females in it, no males, as the females will then normally create their own pecking order. But I've no personal experience on that, simply what I've read about online. One must be careful of the individual personalities of the females as well, as some can just be too agressive even with other females - I believe it is for this reason that stores that keep female bettas also house them separately in little cups just like the males, because not all of them can be trusted together in a sorority tank, and it's hardly good for their profit when you start out with a tank full of femael bettas, and the next day have only one or two left.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote