Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #1 
Anubiasbias

Live plants for betta sorority?

Hi there,

Obviously I'm a fan of anubias, but what are some other easy plants to keep? I'm looking for tall, preferably non-rooting plants (or plants that can just be pushed into gravel) to bulk up a future betta sorority tank.
Anubiasbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 
VegasShimmer

I'm biased toward the water sprite. Fast grower, lots of hiding places, and so pretty. This large mama plant is in my sorority tank. The girls LOVE laying all over it. :) I just bought the large crypt spiralis on the left. They love it, and so far, so do I! :)
Attached Images

VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #3 
gbose

VegasS,

Lovely tank!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #4 
Anubiasbias

Nice tank. How many girls in there?

I had a 20g with some water sprite once. I had problems keeping algae off of it, and the tetras I had in there ate it. Do you find your bettas try to eat it?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 
VegasShimmer

I have 8 girls. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 16g or 20g soon. I have not seen any signs of them eating either plant. All of my tanks are planted, and I've never seen the bettas eating the plants. It's only the girls in the tank above, no other species. No algae either.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 
Anubiasbias

Great thanks, I'll give it a go. My tank will be a 20g. Any experience with elodea?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #7 
VegasShimmer

Isn't that known as Anacharis also? I tried twice to put that in two of my boys' cycled tanks. I ordered it and it was dark purple when it arrived. Never recovered. They sent a free bunch, but it was the same. It melted all over and made a mess. I have a few healthy, skinny strands floating in my 5g, but haven't really done anything with them. I guess they do better floating. I like stem plants because I don't want everything floating at the top. Bettas need the surface area to breathe. :)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #8 
Anubiasbias

Yeah I don't like floating messes. But I just want gravel this time, no special substrate, I want something simple.

Tags
betta sorority plant help, floating plants, plants