Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

substrate frustrations

hmm, ok, so I feel like am set back a bit in my aquarium plans with some issues I am trying to figure out about my substrate. I originally got this gravel and it turns out the pieces were bigger and more sharp than I was expecting them to be. I want to get corys along with the betta and I don't want the corys to be hurt with the gravel I have.

Soo, I stripped the aquarium of everything and now I am debating to myself about different substrates.

I was thinking sand, but MAN is that silica sand hard to find around here! and also, if I couldn't find the sand I'd have to do smaller pebbley rock/gravel I was thinking.

So, finally, I need some opinions and help deciding what I should do cus I feel like if I think about this anymore I will explode! lol (because this is ALL I can think about for the past few days, hehe, it really is driving me nuts, I don't know why I do this to myself ).

I just need some input I guess. :)

Oh, and depending on if I DO feel little sized gravel is most appropriate for my situation, what color do you think would bring out the color best in a yellow betta and albino corys (cus my friend is getting me a yellow betta and I want albino corys).

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #2 
Twistersmom

Dark substrate works better for bringing out the colors of your fish.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #3 
Kim

Try play sand at Home Depot or other construction-type store. It's usually dirt cheap (haha...bad joke) and just plain old silicone sand. That might not bring out the colors of a light fish as well though...maybe buy some black sand. They have it at drsfostersmith.com, the shipping is a little more pricey but if you buy everything you need it is a better deal than most pet stores. I always buy from there and have been very happy with them.

Just be prepared to rinse, and rinse, and rinse the sand before putting it in ;) Cories really like sand though, and it is cute to watch them sift it through their gills.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #4 
ThePearlFish

Thanks, I thought that the darker colors might be the best although I didn't know whether I should go with black or a brownish shade or what since I have fake plants and pots that look like they are broken and from ancient egyptian times. I am not too good at aquascaping or knowing what goes with what, lol.

A LFS said they had black colored silica sand or this atrocious dark blue colored silica sand but I didn't know what was up with if it was truly that type or not. plus it looked like it only came in small bags so I would have to get like a gazillion, lol. I will look into home depot and drs F&S. and go back to that store maybe. tomorrow I told the BF when I go down to visit him we are going to the Leslie's pool supply that is by his house too (one of the closest around to where I live) so that will give me another option to see if they have PFS. I read somewhere that sand was the easiest to keep clean I am not sure if that is true or not.
~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 05-02-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #5 
LaniBaby

i have flat glass stones in mine. they guys like to lie on them and they won't tear fins, as long as you make sure you don't crack/break any of them. They're fairly easy to clean, too, but they are a little bit of a pain to work around when putting in plants because you have to move them and then they move each other, etc...
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #6 
whitedevil

I use aquarium sand, in white. (tahitian moon sand)
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

hmm.. ok, I think I am going to go ahead and do sand. I think I am going to get a dark color, if I can find one in a large size bag. maybe black even though I dunno if that will look good with my decorations. I don't want my tank to look dreary and smaller than it is.

~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 05-02-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: the comp. submitted my post b4 I finished. rgh..
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #8 
whitedevil

The tahitian moon sand

you can get form petsmart, its a 20# bag for 25 bucks. one bag gave me 1" of sand across the bottom of a 26g bowfront.

My betta loves it, it spends alot of time just skimming the surface of the sand.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #9 
ThePearlFish

Cool! thanks guys! maybe I can finally set up my tank FOR GOOD now :P I'll have to find a way to get pics up when I finally get it set up.

~TPF
Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #10 
ThePearlFish

maybe a stupid question, but how do you know when the sand is well enough washed to put into the tank?
Thanks.

~TPF