Hello there- thank you in advance for any help. You can speak the truth to me...
So I have this beautiful beta fish named lucky (long story short he had been on someone's desk at work and then abondoned and I adopted him and have since had him about a year and a half).
I'm realizing now it may be too late and I should have sought out help earlier for him. I feel very bad for him and don't want him to suffer. He has a few things wrong with him.
A few weeks ago I noticed a reddish/white-ish (it looks different some days) sore looking thing next to his eye. It's like an open wound. :( About the same time I also noticed that that eye is possibly cloudy? Not positive on that.
So...my cube buddy has fish and some of her fish were sick and she bought some medicine for them and shared it with me for luck. I used it for about a week and it was about a week ago. It's called Melafix (by API?)....well that didn't work. Some days I thought it was getting better and going away but then another day it would look just as bad if not worse than before. One note about the melafix...it said to treat for 7 days and do a partial water change...I forgot to do the water change. Oh and also it said in the instructions to remove any carbon...so I took the carbon out of the filter but put the empy thing back in and left the filter on. ? :(
Then this morning when he came out for breakfast I noticed one of his fins (his tail fin) had gray on the ends and it's like the end of it had rotted away! :(
Now I'm thinking he may be just getting old...but also I haven't been the best fishy mommy. :(
Here's the form filled out to the best of my knowledge...I've never tested the water but I think my boss (4 of us that sit rit around each other all have fish here at work) has some test strips so when she gets in I'll see if I can use hers to test.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons): 2.5 gallons (one of those 'bow front' acrylic tanks.
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? about 7 months (before that I had him alone in a glass bowl)
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium: Just the beta and then also an apple snail.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 78 and it stays around that.
7. What make/model filter are you using? it's a whisper filter that came with the tank
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Maybe some...I sit one desk away from a window...but it's a window facing next to a brick wall...so we get in some sunlight but not directly.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Last time I changed out about 40-50% and it was about a month ago?
11. How often do you perform water changes? I try to do it monthly but it doesn't always happen.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? I feed him a tiny bit 2-3 times a day mon-fri. When I first had him I gave him flakes (betata min tropical medley) but for awhile now he's had top fin color enhancing betta bits (little floating pellets)...I've given him dried blood worms a few times but not for a long time.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? There's a desk light over the tank I keep on while I'm at work 8 hours a day mon-fri. I haven't used the light in the tank hood for at least a month probably. I've had problems with moldy looking stuff on my plants and thought maybe it was from too much light. ?
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? The above info...fin rot, cloudy eye, and an open wound/sore. ? :(
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I will see if I can get something to test it with later this morning.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? I haven't gotten any other fish since him...and I didn't get him from a pet store. I've had him about a year and a half but I'm not sure how long the person before me had him. I sent him a message asking though.
Thanks again for any help!