Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Breeding out washes

I would love to talk about breeding out washes. Red is the most common but washes can be just about any color. I am very interested in breeding solid colors.
From what I understand, red wash can be bred out by introducing the nr gene. Tricky though because I have to be sure I have the right nr gene or I risk adding red and making a mess. What about yellow wash? Breed to something with excellent coverage in that area in hopes if covering it up? How about black wash? Probably easy enough on the body by adding cambodian, but what about the fins?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

I wish I knew, but I still haven't done my homework on colors yet. Give it some time, I'm sure someone will jump at this topic lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Are you willing to cull most of your fry? Working with the said colors will give you such colors. All you need to do is select the cleanest to breed further. Eventually you should produce clean solids, though not 100%. But adding NR genes will add to the gene pool and give you a wider variety of colors. I was also told that we can use yellow females to produce solid blacks (haven't tried it). IME, introducing yellow will produce a number of cambodian-like colors. In fact I once produced 80% of this color instead of the color I wanted (copper with yellow sheen and fin - or golden copper).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

I have arrangements for every single fry I will make. I'm still in the planning stages for a black line. I need good blacks to make good black coppers. I had planned on using my yellow fish to help with the blacks because I had also read about using yellow in black lines. Cambodian colors huh? Well that works out well for me. I am in dire need of cambodians to clean up the bodies on my yellows.

I want to do gold blacks eventually. I need to start with good copper blacks. I had planned on using a very transparent platinum x copper black to get gold black. I have found several examples of spawn where crossing the two yields gold fry. I just have to figure out how to keep the dark black trim...
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #5 
babystarz

I have heard that it's hard to breed out red wash because it can show up after you think you've got a generation that won't pass it on? Getting the color you want to breed true without the red wash popping up again seems to be the difficulty.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 
Darth

When ever I have a red wash problem I reach for a yellow or Orange, if you want a drker red eraser, use a chocolate betta, also remember pastel is also NR.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Agreed. Red wash was fairly easy for me. I'm contending with black wash right now and cannot find a clean HMPK cambodian to save my life. I need cambodian because I am dealing with black specks and wash on the fins of my yellows. I know cambodian is a mutation on the black layer so I need to add that in to erase the black. I DO NOT want to have to make my own cambodians. I just don't have room. And I want one right now-not 3-9 months from now. Lol,
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You need blond genes - usually carried in clean red, yellow, orange, or white. Theoretically blond genes can be found in cambodians, but to separate it in such a way can sometimes be very difficult. So IMO it would be better to use the above colors (for blond)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote