Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #11 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
Any fast growing steam plant and add some otos algae will be under control.

The more plants the better and what is your light? How often do you do wc? Is the tank new? What kind of algae is it?

Over the years I share I have seen every algae you can get in an aquarium. I finally know how to keep a balanced tank now so algae is not a broplem.
I have fast growing plants, but it still isn't stopping the algae. It's a 10 gallon tank, and I don't think my betta will like having otos. I do weekly water changes, about 50%. The light is 20 watts. No idea what kind of algae it is, but the tank isn't new. It's been up and running for about three months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I could mail you a small amount of duckweed (free) to get you started however, there could be snails in it. I obtained some free from a local nursery that has outdoor pond plants on display outside. The duckweed has been sitting in a plastic container in my window since I got it a few weeks ago and has not been in fish tank (but maybe a big pond). The snails were hitchhikers. I have been stalling about putting it in my fish tank because of the snails. I read you can bleach dip it on the plant forum.
If the duckweed is still available, I think I might want it. If not, that's fine. I forgot to check in and see if anyone replied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Beware, once you add duckweed to a tank it is literally impossible to get rid of without re-doing the tank. I just tore down a 10 gallon today to get rid of it since it was growing to fast and blocking all the light for my plants. I won't add it to another tank if i can help it but it seems to always find it's way in.
I know how bad it can get, but I don't think I'd mind it, really. If it gets too bad, I can take some out and toss it, or give it to someone else.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote