Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 
JBrady

Unhappy Sick Betta

I brought this betta home about 2 hours ago from petco. He looked really sad and depressed an not in the best health. His cup that he was in was all cloudy and had nasty stuf floating in it, I had to take him home.

Right now he's in a 1 gallon tank. It's warm out so the water is about 76 degrees. I gave him a hiding place and a plant. As I'm typin this right now he's swimming down for the first time since ive gotten him. He doesn't look like he has fin rot or ick but he has clamped fins and they're really scrawny. Other than just now, he was floating at the top of the tank vertically. I added in some aquarium salt and the water that's in the tank is from another cycled fish tank I have.

I've saved other bettas but is appreciate any advice.
Here's a pic of him (if it decides to work)
JBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
JBrady

Now..?
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #3 
TiffanyP

It may be that he's just very stressed. Keep him warm, I'd personally bump his tank up a couple of degrees (slowly) if you can, if not 76 is fine. Keep clean water in there and just let him settle in. He may take a little while to adjust and de-stress.

I'm relatively new at this, so I hope others chime in with their advice too :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #4 
JBrady

I guess this betta was too far gone, he already passed away :( it's sad that all he probably needed was some clean water and he wouldve been ok but pet stores don't care. Maybe when I go to get back my money I can try and save another one because at this particular petco there seemed to be alot of sick ones. At least this betta got to be in clean water for a few hours before be passed :/
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

Sometimes they are just too far gone :( But at least he got to spend his last hours in clean fresh water and in good hands. Don't let this discourage you though - just like with everything in life there will be both success and failure, rescue bettas are no different. Keep up the good work :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #6 
CritterNut

I would go back and get another one if I were you, you already spent your money, and maybe the next one will be salvageable. Good luck, I'm sorry this one died. :(
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7 
JBrady

It happens, some are too far gone but I'm not discouraged (: alot of the bettas I've owned before were sick from the store so ill just have to try the next one. Thanks guys
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #8 
CritterNut

Post pictures of your new guy! Good luck!
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote