Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #31 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey all, just want to chime in.

Okay, it's not velvet, velvet looks much different and you'd be able to see it with your own eyes as well. What looks like is happening is body slime is being generated too quickly because of the AQ salt and it's start to shed, making a slimey appearance. It's also effecting the eye's, AQ salt makes pop-eye worse because it retains fluids instead of expelling them like Epsom salt does.

What needs to happen is just a full water change to get rid of anything, I didn't see what size tank he's in right now but Lena, if you can do a 50% change one hour and an hour later do another 50% change, this will help reduce his stress. Give him the rest of this day off from everything.

Make his tank at 80 at the most, pop-eye doesn't need any special heat requirements and best not to stress him out more with different water temps.

Since we don't know whether this is gram negative or gram positive, it would be best to do a combination of Maracyn I & II so to covers everything. That will basically cover everything that KanaPlex would cover but the difference being that one medication is less stressful than combining two medictions is all. But that's neither here nor there.

So what you can do Lena is start the Maracyn II treatment and combine it with the Epsom Salt at half dose (.5 tsp/gal) while you try to find Maracyn I (not Plus or anything like that) and then if the Maracyn II doesn't work, switch to Maracyn I and no ES.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #32 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Hey all, just want to chime in.

Okay, it's not velvet, velvet looks much different and you'd be able to see it with your own eyes as well. What looks like is happening is body slime is being generated too quickly because of the AQ salt and it's start to shed, making a slimey appearance. It's also effecting the eye's, AQ salt makes pop-eye worse because it retains fluids instead of expelling them like Epsom salt does.

What needs to happen is just a full water change to get rid of anything, I didn't see what size tank he's in right now but Lena, if you can do a 50% change one hour and an hour later do another 50% change, this will help reduce his stress. Give him the rest of this day off from everything.

Make his tank at 80 at the most, pop-eye doesn't need any special heat requirements and best not to stress him out more with different water temps.

Since we don't know whether this is gram negative or gram positive, it would be best to do a combination of Maracyn I & II so to covers everything. That will basically cover everything that KanaPlex would cover but the difference being that one medication is less stressful than combining two medictions is all. But that's neither here nor there.

So what you can do Lena is start the Maracyn II treatment and combine it with the Epsom Salt at half dose (.5 tsp/gal) while you try to find Maracyn I (not Plus or anything like that) and then if the Maracyn II doesn't work, switch to Maracyn I and no ES.
I was thinking it did not look like velvet either. That was why I wanted her to do the flashlight test to be positive it was or wasn't.

I think he had this appearance prior to the AQ salt thought, didn't he? I think the AQ salt was just put into the tank today? This has been a hard thread to follow.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah it is difficult. But I believe he was soaked in AQ salt all night last night in a cup if I remember right? It only takes a day for that to appear and I don't believe these particular symptoms showed up till today. I know the pop-eye has been an issue for a few days now though.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #34 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah it is difficult. But I believe he was soaked in AQ salt all night last night in a cup if I remember right? It only takes a day for that to appear and I don't believe these particular symptoms showed up till today. I know the pop-eye has been an issue for a few days now though.
Oh. Well... that would explain a lot.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah ^_^' it's been a ride for poor Blueno.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #36 
Lena N

He had pop eye a week ago. It got better and I did not do anything. This wekend it got worse. I put him to epsom salt as I was recommended here and after being night in epsom salt his fins clamed and he started to change body. I started Maracyn 2 but he got even worse, so I put him in Aq Salt for night thinking about continuing Maracyn 2 in the morning. Aq Salt really made him more active but fins got worse any way. He eat this morning but pellets(new life), he did not want to eat frozen blood warm which he ushually loves.

Last edited by Lena N; 07-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #37 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
He had pop eye a week ago. It got better and I did not do anything. This wekend it got worse. I put him to epsom salt as I was recommended here and after being night in epsom salt his fins clamed and he started to change body. I started Maracyn 2 but he got even worse, so I put him in Aq Salt for night thinking about continuing Maracyn 2 in the morning. Aq Salt really made him more active but fins got worse any way. He eat this morning but pellets(new life), he did not want to eat frozen blood warm which he ushually loves.
How much ES did you use? Can you take a picture and post it of the package of the ES that you used?

We know for a fact that he has a bad case of Popeye. Lilnaugrim walked you through a treatment plan for Popeye. I would follow through with that treatment plan.

Lilnaugrim, what do you think about subing API General Cure for Maracyn I and II since Lena thinks the Maracyn II made him worse?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

General Cure may work but also....Lena how much Maracyn II did you use and in which tank?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #39 
Lena N

Whatever he has ,guys(ladies), he has the same staff the Noodle had. Blueno's pectoral fins started to get smaller (clamped). Just during last hours. So I brought it(problem) home from store....
Used Maracyn 2 in 1,5 G tank recommended dosage (not dubbled).

By the way I used Paraguard on Noodle - did not work, started Maracyn 2 he died next night.
Pitty I do not see totally the same desease in Betta Desease. The main feture is that his fins stick more and more together and become like wooden, it is hard to move them. The body is not sleek but kind of bumpy looking like coved in something. And it is very fast thos deasease...

I think it was right Epsom salt, bout it in Walmart in pharmecy department.

Last edited by Lena N; 07-29-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

did the Maracyn II come in packets and did you use a whole packet?