Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #1 
IonBaller07

Many questions about breeding...Im entering the research stage.

So I really want to breed my bettas and I was thinking about doing it sometime in the next month, so I figure now would be the time to start researching. I have already been reading multiple sites since Ive had them but theres a few things I need clarification on, so I will ask most of them now but Im sure there is more I will have later.
  • I know you are supposed to have a 20 gallon spawn tank but Ive heard of people using 10 gallons, are ten gallons sufficient?
  • To entice the male you are supposed leave your female in sight of the male for a few days, but my male has been in sight off her since I got them through a divider. Will this he not be interested since she is a "common sight" to him?

Umm, well I guess it was only two questions for now. Thanks in advance for any help.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You CAN use a 10 gallon but bigger is recommended because its easier to maintain water quality.Is your divider clear?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #3 
IonBaller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
You CAN use a 10 gallon but bigger is recommended because its easier to maintain water quality.Is your divider clear?
I guess it would be considered opaque, they can definitly see each other because they flare at each other sometimes and sort of follow each other back and forth.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Have you read about conditioning? The male and female should be conditioned for about 2 weeks. During this time you should feed them rich foods like bloodworms or brine shrimp.This helps the female to develop her eggs. According to my book, this should help the male's desire to build a bubblenest.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #5 
Chicklet

10 gallons is sufficient as the breeding tank.
A divided tank is not sufficient.
The male needs the female close, in a divided tank she can go to the opposite end and thus discourage the male.
She needs to be in a vase or chimney type container, planted in the middle of the tank, So he can have sight of her at all times,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 
IonBaller07

Yah I know about conditioning I actually went down to the local petstore to see what they had, does frozen foods work when thawed out or does it have to be live.

And I know a 10g divided would be way to small I have another 10g that Im ready to fill once Im 100% sure Im doing this (well basically once I get my mom 100% sure I can do this)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

According to my book, frozen foods will be fine.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

I have been conditioning my pair with Bloodworms, hight proten pellets, and shrimp!!
Is this koolio?
My book says its great.....Just double checking...
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yep, getting your mom's approval would be a good thing. lol Good luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #10 
IonBaller07

Aww, I had no luck looking for grow out tanks, closest I found in my price range was a 6 Qt shoebox shaped tupperware thing. Would that be suitable or do they need more vertical space. It was only about 4 inches high but was atleast 9-10" long. The other was a 6Qt fishbowl shaped tupperware but it was $3 a piece.

Also quick question, If I have a white male with blue on his fins, and a pure blue female. Would the babies be blue/white or do they come out random colors?

Ohh yah I remember. My other question was about filters and heaters. I know our supposed to have a filter in the spawn tank but you cant put one in each grow out tank can you...same with the heaters, I wouldnt want to get them used to 81 degree spaawn tank water and then move them to 76 degree grow-out tanks.