Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
TeacherTeapot

Last Man Standing

Two months ago I bought a trio of Ottos from my LPS. All three survived quarentine, and were added to my main tank with Beau. Less than a week later, one was dead behind the filter. (No bite marks, assuming it's not my betta) A month after that I couldn't find one of the remaining two when I was giving Beau his breakfast. (Weird habit of mine, I wont feed him until I spot all his tankmates) After looking in all the Ottos usual hiding spots I gave up and went to feed Beau his breakfast. And there was the missing Otto, in the opposite corner of the tank, belly up. So meet the last man standing, I've decided to call him Ollie. (Interesting side note: He hasn't left that corner of the tank in days, should I be concerned?)

TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
djembekah

All i do know about otos is that they are very sensitive, and need plenty of algae to feed off of. What size tank do you have? do you have lots of algae?
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 
TeacherTeapot

It's a 5-gal, and there was more than enough algae for them. Algae I supplemented with wafers. The first one was in the window for Sudden Otto Death Syndrome, and I have no idea what killed the second one. Ollie has left the corner btw, just saw him swim out from under the stump.
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #4 
djembekah

Honestly, 5 gallons is far too small for more than one fish. The bioload probably got too high and since otos are very sensitive, they probably died from ammonia poisoning. if you want to keep multiple fish, 10 gallons is the minimum for SMALL tankmates, including otos and.dwarf cories. you can get away with inverts with a betta in 5 gallons, but more than one fish is just asking for.trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote