Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What should I put Sushi in for the 9 hour trip to Florida?
Keep him in the Tank 0 0%
Put him in the little container he was bought in 1 20.00%
Put him in the giant pickle Jar 4 80.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #1 
billbaggins

Traveling... With the betta

Hey, i got my first betta, sushi, a few weeks ago.

I'm currently at college in Greenville, SC but am originally from Winter Haven, FL. I'm driving back home soon (May 7) and am bringing sushi with me back home. My fish is here with me now (I got him while i was here) and i want to bring him home for the summer.

The thing is, its a 9 hour car trip. My Girlfriend (who has 8 or 9 bettas currently) says i should keep him in the little container he was bought in (Originally, he was one of the table centerpieces at her friend's wedding and he was gifted to me).

Personally, I hate traveling in small spaces for extended periods of time (i'm 6'2" and prefer flying exit row for extra leg room) so i don't know if I could do that to the little guy.

I would keep him in his tank but the top isn't secure on it and the water would spill out, which isn't a good thing if sushi is dying while I'm driving 75 down the highway, causing me to panic and swerve off the road.

I have a huge jar from one time when i bought these ballpark pickles. I have been considering using that instead. I rinsed it, washed it, and then thouroughly rinsed it when i heard soap kills bettas. I also punched some airholes in the top.

Does that sound like a good idea?

If anyone else has traveled long distances with their fish, what have you carried him in?

Any ideas on what else i could do?

Do i care too much about my betta?
billbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #2 
LaniBaby

you do not care too much about your betta. :) we're all very glad you care so much. At least i know i am. I probably wouldn't leave him in the tank because you really shouldn't be carrying your tank with water in it, especially if it's glass, because you could compromise the seams and rupture the tank.
soap is definitely not good for bettas, so if you did use soap, you'd have to REALLY be sure there was none left.
I would suggest a jar with a very secure lid and air holes. Have you considered going to the store and buying a clean canning/mason jar? they're very inexpensive and you can be sure it has no pickle/soap residue. just give it a really good rinse. You can punch the air holes in the top and the lid will screw on, so if the jar falls down it won't come off. It probably won't kill him to be in the little cup he came in for travel purposes, but how secure is the lid? that would be my concern. also, less water = more temp fluctuations.

i would probably say get a clean quart mason jar, put in some air holes, and then give it a very secure place in the car, like on the floor and padded with some towels so it doesn't roll or get jarred (no pun intended.) you can probably also get a larger jar if you can find one. again, the more water, the less the temp will fluctuate.

good luck!!!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think a large mason jar is a good idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #4 
billbaggins

Pictures

Here's a comparison of the little container and the pickle jar.

And I just had an idea. Let me know if you think its bad. I found a travel cooler in the room and thought i could put the Jar in it and pad the sides with a bag of cotton balls and two of those air bags they use in packages.

Obviously I can't close the cooler because Sushi would suffocate. Since its summer right now, my girlfriend said i should carry whatever sushi is in with me when i take a rest stop so he doesn't get fried in the car. I figure the cooler would be a little less conspicuous to carry with me.

LaniBaby
The lid on the little container is pretty secure, It's similar to one of those tupperware containers which are air tight except of course there's an airhole.

I washed the Jar about 3 days ago with water, then water and soap, then a lot of water. Today i rinsed it again. The mason Jar idea sounds good, but I just happened to have this pickle jar in the room which is more convenient.

How thorough does the cleaning job have to be to keep the betta safe? I mean, would it be bad if there was the tiniest, microscopic bit of residue?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #5 
Chicklet

I have transported betta's in Ice cream containers before up to 4 hour drives with no troubles, with no lid..

First I took a big zip locked bag filled three quarters full of water, put the betta in and sat it in the ice cream container,
Don't sit it on the floor or the trunk, Seat I always found the best place, more cushioning there and not the fumes that a trunk may have,
Just before departure I zipped the bag shut, (making sure there's plenty air in the bag,)
I always made a short pit stop every hour to an hour and a half, unzipp the bag, then rezipped it before take of again.

I Never had any shows signs of wear or tear once the trip is over,..

I wouldn't use a small container, Less water more shaken up it gets, Rocks the whole thing more easily,
and with all the pot holes,well..
Bigger amounts don't seem to shake the betta up near as much, so long as its done in a secure type of way.,,

Last edited by Chicklet; 05-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #6 
LaniBaby

i agree with the larger container being less shaken. and YES! don't leave your betta in the car when you take rest stops. He will probably get too hot.

I suggested floor because that way if there's a hard stop, there is less slide should he fall out of the seat. Although, the seat is more cushioned, true. I guess it's up to you and your type of car and wher eyou feel comfortable keeping him.

I've heard that any soap residue may possibly kill a betta so it's best to rinse rinse rinse!
i thin kthe jar is also a safe bet because if anything in the car slides or moves, he won't get crushed. the glass will support him nicely.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #7 
LaniBaby

you can also research how bettas are shipped (since they're shipped all over the world all the time) and see ifyou can learn anything from that that we may not have suggested. I've never shipped a betta so I couldn't say.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #8 
billbaggins

did a google search for betta shipping guides. It sounds like the main things to worry about are air, temperature, leaks, and making sure the container isn't shaken up during the ride.

Most of the roads on the way to Florida (I385, I19, I4) are smooth, but i put some padding in the cooler already.

Its a 9 hour car trip and I'd like to make as few stops as I have to so I don't really want to have to worry about refreshing his air supply.

I'd like to leave him on the seat so i can glance down and tell if anything's leaking or anything. I'd probably buckle the cooler down with the seat belt and also tie it to the seat.

I doubt the temperature of his water will fluctuate too much as long as i carry him with me whenever I turn off the car.

I'm rinsing out the pickle jar again to be sure its safe.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #9 
MarieBettaMom

Aw, I think it is really cool how much thought you have put into transporting Sushi. I love the travel cooler, placed on the seat with a seat belt should be fine. That is perfect, so you can take him out of the car with you when you step out. Bettas are like babies, you wouldn't want to leave them unattended in a hot car. I would also drape a light cloth over half the open top of the cooler (on the car window side) so that he doesn't get direct sunlight coming in and blinding him (although the high sides of the cooler bag would probably take care of most of the sunlight).
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #10 
onekatietwo

Somewhat irrelevant, but I have a friend who has frequently put her Betta in a Nalgene bottle for drives to and from her hometown. It's only a three hour drive, but the Betta has always done fine. I think he's like three years old now. Haha.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote