Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What should I put Sushi in for the 9 hour trip to Florida?
Keep him in the Tank 0 0%
Put him in the little container he was bought in 1 20.00%
Put him in the giant pickle Jar 4 80.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #11 
JingleAllTheWay

I like the cooler/jar setup myself. This made me laugh. We do some pretty crazy things for our fish!
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #12 
MarieBettaMom

And if you have one of the newer Nalgene (Camelbak, or other) bottle, you don't have to worry about BPA leaching into the water!
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #13 
Nataku

I've watched several of my LFS unpacking their betta shipments before. When bettas are shipped to stores or from breeders internationally they are generally placed in plastic bags (and they aren't big plastic bags) which are tied shut, and are then all stacked in styrofoam coolers, which then has a styrofoam lid put on, a heat pack (if it's cold where they are coming from or going) and then that is placed in a cardboard box, taped shut and shipped. They don't get anymore air than what was in the bag at the start of the trip. Those plastic cups you see them in at the store are not what they are transported in, it's what they are dumped into when they come out of the bag.

Admittedly I've done no long drives with my bettas yet, but bringing them home from some stores has been a fairly long endeavor. When I do that they are still in their cups, I arrange them in the passenger seat right up against the part where the back meets, I wrap a towel or blanket (whichever I have handy in my car) around them to help secure them, and then seat belt this 'betta blanket' in. This helps prevent the cups from jostling around, and keeps them fairly dark, which is sid to help keep the betta calmer. How true that is, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't like being bounced and jostled around if I couldn't see where I'm going, but I'm not a betta.

The only fish I've every really taken on any long distance road trips are primarily salt water fish like oyster toad fish, archer fish, sharks, and the assorted other marine fauna like anemones and corals. The fish usually go in five gallon buckets with an aerator stuck in the bucket (bettas don't need aerators). Or in the cases of some of the larger fish (three foot shark does not fit if five gallon bucket) we use 30 and 55 gallon drums to transport them in. A word to the wise if you ever have to transport any large fish around like that, if you're driving in a retired police cruiser with two drums in the back seat - don't get pulled over by cops. If you do get pulled over by cops and they ask you what's in the drums, don't answer sharks! This will save you at least three hours on your trip.

The mason jar in the cooler with padding sounds like a good plan, just secure that cooler to the seat and your betta sounds like it will have a good ride south. I'll be waving at you as drive past me. =]
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #14 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
A word to the wise if you ever have to transport any large fish around like that, if you're driving in a retired police cruiser with two drums in the back seat - don't get pulled over by cops. If you do get pulled over by cops and they ask you what's in the drums, don't answer sharks! This will save you at least three hours on your trip.

Best thing I've read all day. Thanks! Ahahaha.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #15 
billbaggins

I made it home safely with my betta. I went with the pickle jar idea. I made sure to bring him with me whenever i took a rest stop. Now he's on my desk and the only thing I have to worry about is introducing him to the water here and my cats :P

Thanks everyone who voted and gave advice
billbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad to hear that you and your betta made it home safely.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #17 
Bubsymamma

I've traveled on multiple 6-10 hour trips with my bettas in 1 ltr Nalgene bottles. Every rest stop I take my fish gets some air as well and Bubs has traveled in the passenger seat in a basket with his bottle on man trips from the Burgh to Motown and back without a problem. If anything he seems to enjoy the ride and doesn't mind going shopping with me in the purse (won't leave my baby in the car obviously) or even with me at dinner...people wonder why there's a bottle of fish on the table but I want to keep an eye on my Bubsy.

Been traveling with this fish for going on three years now and the fish before him made it four years with multiple 6 hour trips to VA and back just fine. Keep them warm, give them air, and they seem pretty mellow with it.
Bubsymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #18 
froglady

I think its wonderful how well people care for their fish. on trips. and other ways too. they are our babies.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #19 
Susan1948

My Betta, 'Shakespeare' lived to be four years old. I don't know how old they usually get, however he was probably the 'most traveled' fish in history.
We began working away from home, a 7 1/2 hour trip one way, and going home every weekend before I got him. Each weekend I put him in a MAYONAISE jar (quart size) about half full of water and the lid tight. He traveled really well, and when we got back from the weekend at home I would put him back in his bowl. The entire weekend sometimes he would live in the mayo jar, with the lid OFF. The one I have now is a 'boy' but my husband calls him Margaret because my friend Margaret gave him to me. He also travels well, however we don't travel as often now. :> Just do NOT leave your Betta in a hot car or in front of the AC or Heat vents in the car! When we stopped to eat and were going to be resting I just took the jar in the restaurant and put it on the table, lol. Had anyone complained I would have left and found another restaurant, but no one did.
Susan1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #20 
Susan1948

Well, we are all God's creatures 'big and small'. I had a preacher that said since animals don't have souls they won't be in heaven. I told him, Angels don't have souls and they are there...also in Revelations Jesus rides a white horse out of heaven followed by his army on horses! SO I expect to see ALL my pets in heaven.
Susan1948 is offline   Reply With Quote