Elsewhere

Exclamation Three Sorority Girls Dead

Housing
What size is your tank? 30g
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Now seven female Bettas, 5 Albino Corys, 4 Otos

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried bloodworms, Aqueon Betta Pellets, Nutrifin Betta Pellets, freeze-dried Daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, I try and include everyone in the feedings.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator, Seachem Flourish

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? There have been three girls. The first got very bloated and started losing colour, I took her out. The others were normal.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? The first girl wasn't eating and wasn't swimming, I removed her. The others were normal the days before death and were gone in the morning.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? With the first girl, two days before she died. With the other two there were no symptoms.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I treated the first with Epsom Salts but she died in the morning. The other two, nothing.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None of them had.
How old is your fish (approximately)? All would be 6-9 months

My first, Athena, I noticed and posted about here. The next, Pandora, was fine and I found her dead. She had shied away from eating the day before, but I thought nothing of it. While Athena was extremely bloated, Pandora was slim as she always had been. Aphrodite just died today or last night. Yesterday she was eating and swimming happily. Today nothing was wrong with her body except the eyes being removed by the other girls picking at her over night.

My water is fine, I QT all fish, why is this happening?? The only thing new in the tank is a piece of driftwood, but that was put in after the first deaths. Yesterday I introduced frozen bloodworms, but only Athena has died...

Please help with this, I really don't want anyone else gone.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

Bloated could be swim bladder, as for Pandora and the other girl I can't even seem to guess what could have killed them. Pictures if you took them would be helpful. I would QT all other girls and any other aquatic life. You can put them in containers and bob them in the 30 gallon.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #3 
Elsewhere

I have no recent pictures of them, and they're all buried in my garden (I can't dig them up. I just can't.) but I also don't think I can QT all of those fish... I barely see the bottom dwellers, just when new food is out that I count them up. Catching them is nearly impossible. I'll soon be putting the girls in a 10g, away from the bottom dwellers, in case they're the problem, though. Would that help at all?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #4 
txbettaowner

I wouldn't QT the girls together. Put them in individual containers. So far it only seems that the bettas are the ones you are losing which is a good thing. I mean its not good that you are losing your bettas but its a good thing that it isn't transferring to the others.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote