Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #1 
Curegirl80

Hello from NJ :)

Hey everyone. :) I am so glad to have found this forum. Lots of great information here!

Now that I have learned so much, my Betta, Chops is going to get even better care.

Chops is currently in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter but no heater. I plan to move him into a bigger tank with a filter and heater asap.

I have had him for about a month and and am reading about all these heaters, cycles, etc. If he has a filter, do I have to change the water? What is an ideal tank size for a single male betta?

I have been using spring water in his tank - is this OK? Guy at the petstore said it was but I don't trust them. He has changed color since I got him (He was a paleish color and is now turning blue/purple).

What can I do to make his life happier? :)

Thanks in advance!
Curegirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #2 
ifish

i agree this is a very help full site my tank is smaller then tham i plan to upgred but i dont thing a filter is mandtory
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #3 
Nataku

Greetings and welcome to Fish Forum.
Jersey gal' eh? Lemme' put on my southern drawl for ya'll now and this oughta' be a right good ol' time.
....I kid, I kid.

Yes, you still need to do water changes with a filter if your tank is cycled. You just do them less often. A cycled tank is generally something around 25-50% once a week on water changes, where as an uncycled tank is somewhere more along the lines of 50% twice a week.
Ideal tank size? As big as you can get xD I don't think a fish is going to object to more room to move in. But a good size for a single betta with no other tank mates if you intend upon cycling the tank is 5-10 gallons. Any smaller than 5 gallons and your tank probably won't be able to hold a cycle.

Spring water and you: Hmm, I've heard some horror stories from some water operators about the water system in some parts of Jersey..... were I you I would go to your local water municipality and get a list from them on their read-outs on what all the water contains, and see how your pH, ammonia and heavy metals are reading. Then I'd go get a sample of your tap water and take it to your local fish store and ask them for a test. Actually, no, I'd take a sample of the bottled spring water AND a sample of your tap water, and ask them to test both. Many pet stores will do this for free. Find out which is the lesser of the two evils, and go with that. Honestly though, unless the tap water is in dangerous levels for your fish, I'd say tap water and dechlorinator is your best bet, it's cheaper. Do your research, many places have water that's just fine... some places... I wouldn't swim in that water, let alone drink it.

If you don't already have one, and plan on cycling your tank, go ahead and get a water test kit, the API liquid test kit is a good one I hear. =]

On the topic of making a betta happy - clean, warm water, a big tank to move around in, and decorations (like plants and caves) to explore and a good, healthy diet are generally considered the best ways to maintain a happy, active betta.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #4 
TianTian

Nataku pretty much covered everything I couldn't say, so at least let me welcome you, and Chops, to the forum! :D
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #6 
froglady

Hello welcome to fish forum.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 
Sens

Hi!
Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #8 
Campbell

Welcome!

P.S. I don't consider people from New Jersey to have a southern accent.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol Me either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #10 
Campbell

I'm form Tennessee and I know what a southern accent sounds like. Haha
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote