Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #1 
JamieL

White fluff hanging on gills?

My fish had a white cottony kind of fluff hanging on his gills...it was a pretty big chunk of stuff, and earlier when i did a water change i wiped some similar looking stuff off his floating log. i didnt see it anywhere else in the tank. after i took pictures i tapped the tank, and the fluff fell off (and he attempted to eat it). He still has a very tiny white patch on his gill on the other side. Should I be concerned about this, or is it likely just some yucky tank junk that got stuck to him? He's eating and acting fine,and otherwise looks fine.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? Usually 80, but the temp in the house went up and it's 82 now
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nls pellets, frozen BW, bs and daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x/day (he's not fully grown)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: was .25 before change
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White cottony fluff on gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/a
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-4 months?

Thanks!
Attached Images

JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

mmmmm keep a real close eye on him. It could be a strain of columnaris, I had a similar thing happen to Rembrandt except it was on his dorsal and it literally cut the dorsal off, the whole thing ripped off (the part where the fluff was but the base was fine), I used AQ salt for 3 day's and he was fine, it's still healing completely after about 5 months but I think the dorsal is the slowest to heal since it is the last fin to appear on the fry.

But with the every other day water changes, he should be okay but keep an eye on him and if it shows up again, you need to treat him with medications. Furan-2 is a good one to have for Columnaris or any fluff stuff.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 
JamieL

I'll keep an eye on him, and the log. When the fluff fell off it didn't take any of his parts with it, so that's good. I'll watch for it to see if it comes back.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay that's good!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 
JamieL

The white fluff is back on his gills, not as heavy as the first picture, but its there. :(. I'm getting really nervous.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #6 
JamieL

I can't understand this!! I just looked in on him again, 45 mins later and he went from breathing a little heavy with white fluff at the base of his pecs and white along the inside of his gills when I looked close, to now NOT A THING ON HIM and breathing fine. I think I'm going nuts!! Could there be some crud in my tank he's getting on him?? I'm trying to fish in cycle, but its been probably 3 months and still not cycled (no nitrites, trates or anything, just ammonia...that's another issue entirely), and I know you're not supposed to wash anything in your tank, but maybe since I'm not cycled anyway I should scrub everything in there and do a deep cleaning? I don't understand what's going on!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi JamieL. Hmm. There are a couple of possibilities here. One is gill flukes causing an excess of slime coat to be built up in his gills, slime coat that sometimes falls off. Another possibility, as lilnaugrim suggested, could be the beginnings of a columnaris infection, or flexibacter columnaris.

A good treatment option is API General Cure to target possible gill flukes. You can also try Jungle Labs Parasite Clear tabs or API Fungus Cure. Any of these meds will be effective against gill flukes and other parasites. If this fails to solve the problem or the white fluff begins to spread on his body, then we may be looking at a columnaris infection. In that case, lower the temp to 76 degrees and try API Furan-2.

In regards to your cycle . . . if you're changing the water every other day, that's probably why you aren't cycling. I did the exact same thing when I tried to do my first fish-in cycling of a 10gal. The problem with fish-in cycling is you MUST let the levels build up to a high enough level that the beneficial bacteria start to grow. These levels are unfortunately also high enough that the fish experiences discomfort. In this case, I'd say you must let the ammonia levels build up to 0.5ppm before doing a partial water change to bring the levels back down to no lower than .25ppm. At these levels your fish will experience burning in his gills and eyes, though.

You don't have to cycle your tank if you don't want to put your guy through the process. Instead, just do 50% water changes once a week and you'll be fine.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm glad to see you pop up Sakura, I wouldn't have thought about gill flukes having not experienced them as of this moment.

Would these medications be fine on a baby to use full strength or should we look at using them half strength? Since they are a little more sensitive than their adult counterparts I would assume half strength but I would then think that it wouldn't be as effective?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Hi lil! You've been doing a great job giving wonderful advice. :)

Good point about the baby, I forgot. I think the Parasite Clear tabs would probably be best at half strength but the others may be all right full strength. I think any of them could be used half strength if it makes dancersmama more comfortable though. If at half strenght, we may consider lengthening the time of usage though.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Sakura, that mean's a lot to me. I know I'm still learning but I'm glad that I'm on the right track ^_^

Oh and you mixed up the threads, JamieL has the baby and dancersmama was the two female Betta's

But that makes sense about considering the duration as well.