Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #11 
Sakura8

LOL, thanks for keeping me straight on these things, lil, haha. My brain is on the fuzz right now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha yeah, I hear you, no worries! I get quite distracted myself lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #13 
JamieL

Thanks guys. I'll try the general cure first and keep an eye on him

Regarding the cycle, I figured the wc schedule was delaying it, but someone (I think lil) said the babies excrete a growth stunting hormone so I figured water changes were more important for now. My tap water has chloramine and reads .5 as is, so it's tough for me to judge even with the test kit, so I just don't chance it. When I do let up on wc's, can I add prime to the tank again after a couple days to help inbetween changes?
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, growth stunting isn't that important but it is at the same time. He will eventually grow but it's best if he can grow now rather than later, you know? So that's all fine and dandy!

As for cycling, I would honestly look into some products like Tetra Safe Start or, take him out of that tank and do a fish-less cycle with ammonia because I feel it would be too stressful and hurt him and I don't want that to happen either
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #15 
JamieL

Yeah, I was actually thinking if he needed treatment i would put him in my spare 2.5 to make it easier to treat him and do WCs, and maybe just fish less cycling his tank in the meantime...then I can use that to seed my 10 gal as well. I feel like I need to have cycled tanks since my tap water has chloramine...otherwise i have to keep up on the constant changes basically forever, right? Since prime only bonds with ammonia for 24-48 hours? So no matter what my water will only be safe for a short time after changes? Or does another product neutralize chloramine completely? So many questions! I feel like it would be easier if my township didn't switch to chloramine 2 years ago. I bought the seachem ammonia alert because its supposed to detect free ammonia as opposed to ammonium, so I figured it'd let me know when the water was becoming unsafe, but I missed a water change once and the ammonia spiked to almost 1ppm and the alert never changed color. That's the only time I could even tell if my levels were up, since my water measures .5 anyway. Ugh! Plus we're going on vacation for a week in November and I really want to get their tanks cycled by then so I don't have to worry about water changes while we're gone.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, you're right about the chloramine and stuff. You'd have to do them so often or at least keep dosing Prime every two day's which isn't ideal either. Better just to have a fully cycled tank and not have to worry about anything!

But yes, the easiest way to cycle his tank would be either pure ammonia (as in no additives or surfactants. Good way to test is shake the bottle, if it foam's it's no good) or you can get raw shrimp and use that as your ammonia source and keep it in a mesh bag so it doesn't be hard to get rid of when it starts to decay!

I'm allergic to seafood so I never did the shrimp thing lol I always just did Silent Cycles since it was the easiest for me because we literally have no pure ammonia around here so lots of plants went in and voila! Tank read's 0 everything! It takes a heck of a lot longer to actually cycle but with the plants, it buffers everything keeping your fish safe ^_^
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #17 
JamieL

Ok thanks. Now suppose I could get some filter media or substrate from an established tank...would I use that along with a fishless cycle, or would I be able to speed up my fish-in with that enough for it to be easier on him? My brother in law has a cycled 40 gallon tank, and I'm sure I could convince him to give me some material.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah seeded material will always help no matter what! But I don't believe it would be strong enough unless you literally took one of his filters if he has a small filter on there, then you could run that in the 10 with the regular filter in in about 2-3 weeks it should be cycled, still need a source of ammonia but with a whole filter I feel it would be fine to have your baby in there since you'd technically have a whole colony of BB ready and going.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #19 
JamieL

Well, I moved him to the 2.5 gallon and I started fishless cycling his 5.5 gallon with ammonia. I took a couple scoops of his gravel, one cave, and a plant so he has some of this familiar stuff, but I kept most of his stuff in there. My only problem is that I don't have a reliable heater for the smaller tank, and the water is only about 76. I guess that's ok, but he's used to 80. The small heater I have brings this tank up to 84+, so I think he's better at 76. I hope I can cycle this tank relatively quickly and get him back "home". Could I run two filters in there while I cycle, then after it cycles run the second filter in the other tank? Would that be the best way to cycle the next one? Or would removing the second filter cause a mini cycle in the first tank? Would that be easier to cycle #2 as opposed to transferring filter media into the uncycled filter?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah if it fits you can use two filters on the 5.5 and then use the other filter for the 10 gallon to cycle it faster. BB still has to establish in the tank itself; on decor, gravel, plants and whatnot but it will pretty much be an insta-cycle if you don't kill BB during transfer which can really only happen if you let it completely dry out. But 1-2 hours out of water will normally be okay because there's still moisture and water in it.

And no it wouldn't cause a Mini-cycle on the 5.5, it might cause a small one that will last a day or so but if you're cycling with ammonia then you'll be good for fish poop up to 4ppm or around whatever you're putting ammonia in. Betta poop can get up to 1ppm depending on tank size and how long you leave it, it can get higher but basically you'll definitely be covered.

And I'm confused on what you mean "Would that be easier to cycle #2 as opposed to transferring filter media into the uncycled filter?"