Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #21 
JamieL

I mean would it be easier to put a whole filter in and move it as opposed to taking out some of the cycled filters media and putting it in the un cycled tanks filter? Would it be more effective?
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah, yeah it would be easier to use a whole filter rather than the media. BB doesn't just colonize in the media, they live on the surfaces of the filter, tank walls, ornaments, gravel, and plants so using a whole filter will make it so it has more BB.

Also, BB LOOOOVEES oxygen so if you keep the water level lower so that the filters splash down on the water to make bubbles, they'll grow even stronger! They also love high temps like 85-86 so that's something else you can do to promote their growth ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #23 
JamieL

Ah, ok thanks. When I get home later ill lower the water, and put my spare larger heater in it to bring them temp up. I'm going to probably buy a second whisper filter and another tank, I divided the ten gallon and I bought two small marina internal filters for each side and ripped them out immediately because they were SO LOUD. I love the whisper10, I'm probably going to return the marinas and buy another whisper and another tank and scrap the divided tank altogether.

These fish are giving me anxiety!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Really? I love my Marina I25! I /hated/ the whisper 10i, too big and boistrous and kept pulling fish into the gates of hell >.> I tend to prefer HOB's now aday's as opposed to internals. Internals are just such a pain for me, and besides there are more room in HOB's for customized filter media which I like personally ^_^

But to each their own! If it works for you, then great!! if you were interested though, my 10 gallon split into 3 has a HOB filter that is baffled with a water bottle and it gives great flow out the sides so that it goes right through the divider to circulate all the water. It would probably work better if I put it in the middle but for now there's shrimp there that I don't want to suck up lol so that's just another idea, but I can show you the pictures to see how it looks it's an Aqua-Tech 5-15 from Wally-world lol
Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #25 
JamieL

Oh man. Yeah, I put a marina on each side, plugged it in and mannnnnn. They were so loud. Blowing his pellets all over the place. I could have baffled them, but I couldn't stand the sound. I put the whisper back in...silence!

I don't know what I'm going to do, my ct was alone in the 10, then once the divider went in he started tail biting. Even with the divider being solid they still flare like crazy through the little holes. I really like the top fin 5.5 starter kit, that's the one I cycling now, it has a hob. I can't decide what to do.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's the 5.5 I have as well, still using that HOB since it actually works just fine!!

You could always move your CT to the 5.5, put baby in the split 10 and whomever on the other side. I don't know all of who you have
Old 08-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #27 
JamieL

The baby has to stay in the 5.5, since he's my daughters fish and lives in her room..she's a little bent out of shape that I moved him to the kitchen while cycling his tank. She's very proud of the pink and purple decor she picked for him! I have a VT male also, and he and the CT are so aggressive. I bought the 10 gallon with the idea of dividing it eventually, but when I put in the divider (before I even put in another betta) Captain Hook started tail biting a little. Now that he has a neighbor it's gotten even worse, some of his tail 'spikes' are almost chewed down to a nub. I took the filters back to petsmart and for a couple extra dollars I got another 5.5 starter kit. I'm going to wait until Monday and see, but if he's going to hurt himself I'd rather just give him back the 10 gallon to himself and set up another tank. Maybe in the future I can experiment with tank mates like cories or something. It won't be so bad to have three tanks once I can get the other one cycled. My tap water has .5 ppm of ammonia! I have to keep track on the calendar when I changed/dosed the water with prime.

Btw the white fluff never came back on bubblefishys gills. I didn't medicate him, I've just been watching him closely and so far he looks fine.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ooh okay, that makes sense then. Yeah with seeded tanks around it's going to be a lot easier to kick-start cycles in new tanks

Wow .5 ppm, that's crazy!! Yeah, definitely would be beneficial to cycle everything as you've been doing ^_^

That's good about the fluff! I found it really weird just because it was so white! Literally looked like cotton! but all the stuff that I've seen relating to columnaris and the stuff of that like is white, but it's more of a dull white almost a light grey-ish color so that was just weird.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #29 
JamieL

It's been 3 days and I already have high nitrite. I guess because the tank is over 2 months old and has never had a 100% wc or cleaning of ornaments, I'm assuming it was like having a little head start.

My CT looks even worse today :(. His poor fins are getting chomped down more and more every day. I'm going to move the VT tomorrow and take out the divider for him. Then in the future if I ever put two males in that 10g again ill put them in the divided space at the same time, instead of taking away half of the first fish's turf.

I really think the white fluff was just some kind of weird tank algae or some kind of growth that he just rubbed against somewhere. The log seemed to grow some weird stuff that I scraped off, so I don't know if he just got it on him or what,but he still looks perfect now.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I usually just double up on the mesh and it works well so they can't see each other as much. Cuts down on the circulation a little bit but it works for the purposes. But some fish will never be able to live in a divided tank or just plain shouldn't, but you don't normally find that out till after ^_^

Yeah, still weird about that white fluff. Well at least you got cycling advice out of this thread haha.