Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #1 
heref1shyf1shy

Can you tell me if this is fin rot or not?

Hi Friends,

I have a male betta who seems to be acting fine (active, good eater, handsome, and productive--patrolling and building nests) but lately his fins have been looking more and more tattered on their ends.

He live in a 5 gal, with a small tom filter, no friends, 79 degrees, eats pellets, 90% water changes once a week.

I have him in a quarantine tank right now (0.5 g) and according to directions I found on another site, I've been adding 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt and doing 100% water changes daily for about a week.

I'm not seeing any changes -- and I feel sorry for him in that little QT -- so I thought I'd ask: do these pics look like fin rot to you? do you see anything in the tank that's not good for him? does treatment i'm doing sound appropriate?

Thanks so much for your help!
HF1shy
Attached Images

heref1shyf1shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

It does look like a little bit of fin rot. I would put him back in his 5 g. I wouldn't worry about using salt at this point. It's VERY minor. I would just keep up on water changes, and maybe test the parameters. Fin rot is usually a result of poor water quality. If you're changing once a week 90% though, I would think it should be fine. What water conditioner are you using? I really like Stress Coat. It'll encourage those fins to grow back faster too.

Test your tap water, and if it comes back at anything above 0 ammonia, then I would pick up some Prime and use that as a water conditioner.

Otherwise, I'd discontinue the salt and put him back in his home.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #3 
heref1shyf1shy

Thanks so much NeptunesMom! We use well water here that has been tested and doesn't need to be conditioned in any way--we are blessed in that regard. I like the idea of adding something that will encourage regrowth, but would Stress Coat be appropriate when my water is good as is?
heref1shyf1shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by heref1shyf1shy View Post
Thanks so much NeptunesMom! We use well water here that has been tested and doesn't need to be conditioned in any way--we are blessed in that regard. I like the idea of adding something that will encourage regrowth, but would Stress Coat be appropriate when my water is good as is?
Stress Coat will be fine to add to your water. It is a water conditioner and therapeutic additive. Using it for a therapeutic additive alone is completely fine.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote