Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
lynaeleanne

Exclamation Fins all clumped together, not eating!

Hello, this is my first post to bettafish.com. My boyfriend's poor baby Marta, a young light yellow female betta, is sick. Her top and bottom fins are all stuck together, she hasn't spread them out in a few days. She has stayed in the top corner of her tank for the past three days, barely moving from that spot. yesterday she ate a food pellet, but today she won't even eat a bloodworm, which is usually her favorite. I haven't noticed anything growing on her or any white spots, although she did get a few darker spots around her gills.

Any ideas on how to treat her?? Please and thank you! :(
lynaeleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

If you'll fill out the sticky right above your post, it will help people so they can give you more informed answers.

Welcome to the forum!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
lynaeleanne

What size is your tank? For right now, she's in a 2 gallon, while we have her 10 gallon tank cycling.
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no, I do partial water changes every few days.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, but I check the thermometer constantly to make sure it's not too cold.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood worms and food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once in the morning and once at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days, partial water change
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use distilled water with conditioner added
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

1. Since you didn't answer the water parameter questions, I assume you don't have a test kit; you need one. Knowing water parameters is the most important thing to know about your tank. Plus, without knowing those parameters you won't know when your tank has cycled.

2. If you use distilled water, you need a remineralizer. Fish need certain trace elements in their water to survive and distilled does not have it. Tap water with conditioner is a better option.

3. Snails can create large bioloads. You need to change the water at least every other day.

4. Without a thermometer, how do you know the temperature in the replacement water is the same as that in the tank? You really need one.

I would do a 100% water change and use tap water with conditioner. Keep her warm (you can wrap a towel around the aquarium or put the aquarium under a light/desk lamp).

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 
lynaeleanne

Thank you, I'll try that in the morning. I have a thermometer that I check the new water with and I have a thermometer in the tank that I keep tabs on, I'm going to go out and buy a heater tomorrow though.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Hard to heat a two gallon. If she'll soon be in the 10, I would get a heater for the 10 gallon.

You can put her in some sort of floating container and let it float in the heated 10 gallon. I use chip cllips to hold the tanks to the rim of the aquarium so they won't tip or sink. I use these as temporary housing/acclimation tanks. They're cheap and are longer than tall so there's lots of breathing surface. They were in-store at my Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...allon/17248150
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #7 
lynaeleanne

Update:
So her tank temp is 80, she's still on the top on the tank but she's moved to a floating plant. This morning I noticed white spots on her, I'm not sure if they're ick or something else. They're small and white, but raised a bit off of her. She has like 7 or 8 of them. Any ideas? I'm going to do a little research, but I figured i would ask here first in case anyone has encountered something similar.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

Hmm.. do you have a picture? It could be ich.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 
lynaeleanne

I started treating her for ich today, I'll try to get a picture where you can see it. It's so light its hard to notice.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Ich looks like salt. Does it look like you salted her?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clumped, fins, not eating, sick