Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 
TiffanyP

Jumping the gun?

I'm trying not to jump the gun and say something is wrong, but if there is I want to be proactive about it. But something is not right with my Gaston. I'm not sure if I just stressed him out when I had him flare to check his fins to make sure they were healing? But something is off. I'm hoping it's just stress but I figured you all would know more. I filled out the sticky so you guys have a better idea of the situation.

Housing
What size is your tank?: 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank?: A steady 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?: Not yet, I'm on vacation and it's a temporary home, it will when I return
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No
Is your tank heated?: Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: NLS (small fish formula) pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Twice a day, a little in the morning and a little at night. Its hard to measure out those tiny tiny pellets for an adult fish. I have regular pellets at home, but all I brought with me on vacation were my baby betta's NLS pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: I got him on Friday, he got clean water then, and clean water yesterday morning as well. I was going to do a 50% water change today since I'm working on clearing up his fin rot (which I don't believe is related to his changes today), but I'm not sure if it will stress him out.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: Was going to do 50% today
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Stress Coat +

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?: I have a kit coming in the mail but I won't get it til Sunday when I'm home again
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: His appearance hasn't changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: I got him on Friday (rescued from Walmart) and had him in a temporary 3/4 gallon container that he swam happily around. Couldn't keep it warm though so he upgraded yesterday to a new heated 5 gallon home with a big plant to swim around/through. He swam a lot and would dart around whenever I walked in the room. He was fine this morning too, swimming around and he ate his breakfast and took a poo too. About 10:30-11 am I went into my room and he was resting on the suction cup that holds the heater to the side, I brought in a hand mirror to get him to flare so I could check his fins (he has some fin rot that I'm working on clearing up, currently just using stress coat, but was planning on starting an aquarium salt treatment soon if it doesn't clear up with clean water). He flared nicely and his shredded/curly dorsal, anal, and ventral fins are showing some signs of regrowth and the fin rot on his caudal fin isn't spreading. Since then he's been lying still on the bottom of the tank which he hasn't done in my 3 days of having him. I put a large book between the two tanks so he can't see my other betta anymore, and turned his light off. Trying to keep it quiet and dark in there for a while. I went in and peeked at him again just now, he's laying on some leaves of his plant near the surface of the water. Continues to be very still.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: About 2-3 hours ago. I know that's not long, but I can tell something is not right, and I'm trying to be proactive
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: I've turned the light off on his tank and separated him so he can't see my other betta. He has stress coat in his water too.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: I just got him 3 days ago with some mild fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: I really have no idea, he looks like your average adult sized betta.

I understand may be a bit early to tell what's wrong and that it may just be stress, but like I said - I'm trying to be proactive. Do you think I should still go ahead with the 50% water change? Or just leave him be for today and change the water tomorrow? I'll update as the day goes on as well. Thanks for reading and soothing the nerves of an overprotective fish mom :)

Also, this picture is from last night (ignore the betta water in the back, it's simply a container I use to measure out and store extra conditioned water in now). He doesn't look any different in appearance, just in his behavior
Attached Images

TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

There hasn't been any change all afternoon, he's still just laying around for the most part. He's in the back corner on the suction cup that holds the heater down right now - and he doesn't react if I run my finger around his face, but he does kind of 'wake' if I tap on the glass a bit. I know I shouldn't do it but I honestly wasn't sure if he was alive, that's how lifeless and lethargic he is right now.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 
TiffanyP

I went ahead and put him in the 3/4 gallon container to keep a closer eye on him, and have it floating in the 5 gal tank to keep it warm. He's still very lethargic, though he swam around avidly while I was setting up the 3/4 gal, which I'm hoping is a good sign. I noticed that when he did that, when he would stop swimming he'd just kind of start sinking til he was laying on the bottom.

He still doesn't look any different, his color is the same, I don't see any swelling or weird spots, he just seems to be exceptionally lethargic. I put about 50% tank water and 50% new water treated with stress coat+ in his 3/4 gallon. I haven't added any aquarium salt yet as I'm hoping someone will comment and give me a recommendation. Or to tell me that I'm overreacting and that he'll be fine haha
Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #4 
sainthogan

You haven't had him very long, he could just be adjusting to his new surroundings. Do you have lots of places for him to hide? He could be stressed if he feels too exposed. Stressed fish are often lethargic fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

There's a very large plant in his tank that yesterday he loved swimming around and through. Today he was lounging on the leaves a bit. That's all I have in there at the moment as it takes up a lot of the tank, but I have a cave and another smaller plant with me that I can put in there too. I may just be neurotic, but he's not as happy as he has been the past 3 days.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 
Namialus

It happened to my betta once as well, after flaring. Just give him his space and I suggest you add more shelters.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 
TiffanyP

Okay - that makes me feel so much better to hear that :) I've moved him around enough today, I'll leave him be til tomorrow and add the other 2 tank decorations I have with me before I put him back in. Sorry to be overly neurotic :)
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #8 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
Okay - that makes me feel so much better to hear that :) I've moved him around enough today, I'll leave him be til tomorrow and add the other 2 tank decorations I have with me before I put him back in. Sorry to be overly neurotic :)
No, it's totally fine. I did the same thing, freaked out and everything. :P
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #9 
TiffanyP

Namialius - how long did it take for your guy to perk back up? It's absolutely miserable seeing Gaston like this, just floating there and not looking very happy... :(
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #10 
TiffanyP

I left him alone and covered up in his tank overnight. It was dark and I didn't disturb him for 12 hours. He swam around when I took the blanket off of his tank this morning and still looks much the same, though his fins are clamped today. Since he swam around when I removed the blanket, I offered him a tiny bit of breakfast which he ate just fine.

Should I leave him floating in the 3/4 gal? Or add the extra plant I have and put him back in the 5 gal and see how he does in there? I just feel so bad for him looking so miserable :(