Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #11 
TiffanyP

I have both good news and... neutral(?) news.

Good news: He was getting worse in the 3/4 gallon floating tank, so I slowly acclimated him to tank water and put him back in the 5 gallon tank. I've been gone for about 9 hours, so he's been in relative darkness and peace and quiet during that time and he's perked up a bit! He was swimming around when I snuck in and his fins aren't clamped hardly at all. He just in general looks better than he did.

Neutral news: Another something I'm not sure if I should be worried about... his belly looks a little swollen. Nothing terrible, just kind of like he had a big meal - but he hasn't eaten anything save for about 4 of the NLS small fish formula pellets this morning (tiny little things). The small amount he ate wouldn't affect him like that. Maybe it's just because he hasn't had a poo in a couple of days? I'm going to hold off on feeding him, let him sit overnight and check again in the morning.

Feel free to chime in with any thoughts/concerns you might have.
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #12 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
Namialius - how long did it take for your guy to perk back up? It's absolutely miserable seeing Gaston like this, just floating there and not looking very happy... :(
Sorry I didn't see this!

He got better right when I added the StressCoat and gave him a treat.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #13 
Namialus

Quote:
I left him alone and covered up in his tank overnight. It was dark and I didn't disturb him for 12 hours. He swam around when I took the blanket off of his tank this morning and still looks much the same, though his fins are clamped today. Since he swam around when I removed the blanket, I offered him a tiny bit of breakfast which he ate just fine.

Should I leave him floating in the 3/4 gal? Or add the extra plant I have and put him back in the 5 gal and see how he does in there? I just feel so bad for him looking so miserable :(
I covered up his tank as well, but that just freaked him out even more because according to another member here they freak out when they can't see. I just left the room dark.

I think you should just keep him in the 5gal. Take him out of the 3/4 gal, maybe add some StressCoat and more hiding places.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #14 
Namialus

Quote:
I have both good news and... neutral(?) news.

Good news: He was getting worse in the 3/4 gallon floating tank, so I slowly acclimated him to tank water and put him back in the 5 gallon tank. I've been gone for about 9 hours, so he's been in relative darkness and peace and quiet during that time and he's perked up a bit! He was swimming around when I snuck in and his fins aren't clamped hardly at all. He just in general looks better than he did.

Neutral news: Another something I'm not sure if I should be worried about... his belly looks a little swollen. Nothing terrible, just kind of like he had a big meal - but he hasn't eaten anything save for about 4 of the NLS small fish formula pellets this morning (tiny little things). The small amount he ate wouldn't affect him like that. Maybe it's just because he hasn't had a poo in a couple of days? I'm going to hold off on feeding him, let him sit overnight and check again in the morning.

Feel free to chime in with any thoughts/concerns you might have.
Exactly the same as me!

I left him and he got better in the peace :P

And he also looked a bit swollen, so just fast him.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #15 
TiffanyP

Okay thank you :) I'm really hoping it's just a reaction from being stressed out, but of course my first thought was "omg he could have dropsy". I'll just leave him be for the night, and probably all day tomorrow - unless he starts getting more swollen, then I'll start an ES treatment and pray my very small LPS has one or more of the medications listed to help with dropsy. They had Kanaplex the other day though, which I was surprised about, so maybe they will have something. IF I need it haha Thanks for responding namialius
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #16 
TiffanyP

Woke up this morning and was terrified to check on him, but am very pleased with the results! He's still looking much perkier than he has been, and his belly wasn't swollen at all! So I fed him a tiny bit of breakfast, which I think he was thankful for because he chomped it right up! I'm still going to keep things a little darker and on the quiet side yet today just to be absolutely sure he's better, but I hesitantly say that he's on the upside of this :) Thanks to anyone who's followed along on my neurotic fish mom journey!