Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 
Rjlupin

Broken Dorsal fin? Pic

Hi again. I'm worried about Remus. All his other fin injuries from moving (moved about a week and a half ago) have all started healing and fins are regrowing. However, there is a spot on his dorsal fin that worries me. It appears to be a small hole where when he swims, the broken part of the ray(?term?) moves in and out of the hole... like one of those pop up books. He's acting totally normal, swimming energetically (I think this might be part of why it's not healing as quickly) and eating like a pig.

I actually upped his food and was happily surprised that he ate all of it in 2 minutes.

I'll attach a pic and answer the questions:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No one except some plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, once in the AM, once at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25% every few days, 75% on Sundays (I skipped one the other day because I added live plants and wanted to let them settle in
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner+ stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A (don't have the test)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.0
Hardness:120-180 General hardness 0-40 carbonate hardness
Alkalinity: 0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small injury on the dorsal fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Warm clean water and love
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? young adult

In the photos you can see how his dorsal is sort of limp. He doesn't seem to notice though. Still swims around like it's his day off. I haven't noticed any change since I got him, just concerned that it hasn't healed yet.
Attached Images

Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It will heal with time but it's something that might not even fully heal though. He doesn't seem to have issues which is the most important thing and it's not effecting his health in any way. Keep an eye out for fin rot mostly but I think he'll be fine.

Very often when fins have been bitten off or torn off in some way, they don't always regrow back quite nicely.

For example, my boy Rembrandt. He had a bout of columnaris that tore off most of his dorsal leaving him like this:

That picture was from a few weeks after the columnaris so you can see where the ray's were starting to regrow. He now looks like this and has regrown back the the ray's and membrane but the membrane is lacking color and still hasn't fully grown out to where the ray's are. But he's got a hole right here where his caudal is, hard to see but he's had it since he started to grow back and it hasn't healed up in two months so I have a feeling he'll always have it, much like a scar. So that's what I think might happen to Remus here, but they'll be fine.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #3 
Rjlupin

Wow, what a stunner! Your guy is really impressive.
I hope my little dude heals up soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You've got quite a looker yourself!! I love the black grizzled shiny look to Remus's butterfly pattern!

Anyway, Stress Coat will be your friend as well as Remus's and then just clean, warm water. You can use Vita-Chem as well if you want to buy it online, that helps keep him healthy and promote fin growth!

Oh and forgot to ask, was there a reason you're doing so many water changes?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #5 
Rjlupin

I wasn't sure if the tank was cycled or not, and had no way to test ammonia. I've read that it can build up quickly in a cycling tank, so I change the water often to minimize any risk. Going by my nitrate and nitrite reading, the tank is cycled, so I'll probably start changing 50% of the water once a week with mini changes in-between (10%)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can just do twice a week, once 25% and the other 50% because you want still to keep the water clear of any bacteria or anything that can infect his wound if even a little bit of it is still open, it can turn into fin rot and it's awful close to the body so I'd go with the two changes, that way you can dose Stress Coat often and keep his water healthy that's one of the most important things ^_^
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #7 
Rjlupin

Will do, thanks for all the advice. :)

I just did a cleaning today, added pics to my album.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome! Oh and your plants will grow just fine in gravel! Plants will root in anything ^_^

Now are most of those Swords? I think I see one Java Fern and some Hairgrass?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #9 
Rjlupin

Yes mostly amazon sword, I heard its hardy and grows fast. There is an anubias in the back and some hair grass but I fear the hair grass is browning. We will see.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Swords actually don't grow that fast unless you've got some sort of plant substrate and CO2 going. It's a moderate grower and under low lights, it's a slow grower. All of your plants except the Anubias are heavy root feeders, don't know if you have them, but Root Tabs would benefit both your Swords and your grass

Hairgrass of any type definitely needs strong light, root tabs and will also benefit from liquid ferts as well, same goes for your Swords; root tabs and liquid fert.