Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #21 
Rjlupin

Update: Broken fin

Here is Remus today! I think he looks very healthy despite his strange fin. Good news, I seem to have beaten my algae into submission. I didn't have to scrub any tank decoration this week. I also bought a baby Betta today. His name is Fry. (I think he's a he?) He's in an extra 2.5 gallon tank with some plants and a bubbler.
Attached Images

Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute! Remus is lookin' good!

As for the baby, you know to change water at least every other day if not every day and to feed at least three times a day? It's still a little too early to tell if it's male or female, I think I see ovaries growing but not sure yet so only time will tell!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #23 
Rjlupin

Yes, I've been reading about it. I just fed him now, and I'll feed him again at night when I feed Remus. I just put him in his tank, so I'll wait to do a water change tomorrow. I only bought him because he had such heavy stress lines. He's spunky, though. Voracious eater and s/he puffs up at me when s/he sees me. For now, we're calling him Fry because we don't know his gender (Like from Futurama). He was actually one of the bigger fish there. Some others were smaller but more colorful, so I think he might be a she.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay that's great! Sorry to drill you, but I just wanted to make sure and all I know the little one will do really well with you ^_^

And yeah, if it was one of the bigger ones I'm going with female as well. The anal fin looks too rounded to be male, and I am pretty sure that I can see ovaries there, just able to make them out. Looks like she might be a Plakat girl
Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #25 
Rjlupin

I find the girls to be very cute, so I will not be disappointed if he is indeed a she. I think plakats are very attractive, and already he seems to be settling into his new home. My amazon swords have grown so much I could spare a few for her tank, so that should help with the water changes.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! Yeah, I do love me some girls too haha

As for the water changes, yes the plants will help but you need to do water changes every other day regardless since babies excrete a growth stunting hormone which needs to be taken out of the water with a water change. Otherwise your baby will be stunted and not grow to it's full matured form. That's why babies require much more care, that and the foods of course
Old 08-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #27 
Rjlupin

Duly noted. I'm watching her... shlem... swim around, and she's very cute. When the light catches her just right, you can see a flash of blue and red. I'm excited to watch her grow up.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute ^_^ yeah, it's really a great feeling when they're grown up and you can say "I grew her/him from a baby!!" it's just so awesome ^_^
Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #29 
Rjlupin

Here's an updated photo of my baby and Remus. His fins are actually starting to look really cool. I feel bad for him though because compared to my quick agile baby girl, he swims very slowly. I'm worried he might start tailbiting because he's so... long finned? But he seems to have much more color than when I first got him, and I'm very happy with my pets.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, baby girl she's growing well!

I'm glad Remus is doing well! Yeah my boy Rembrandt is the same way but has never complained about it for bitten himself except for out of frustration once and I'm happy that's over ^_^ So Remus should be fine if he hasn't done it yet.