Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

Clementine Has Dropsy </3 (pics included)

I haven't been on here in a while, but I wanted to upload this thread. I've been rediculously busy with life....I don't even have my tanks at my own place yet (if that tells you anything). The point of this thread isn't so much of asking help, though help is always appreciated. I mainly made this to let people who are worried about their fish having dropsy see first hand the signs to look for.

About a week ago I came over to my grandparents' to see them and check on my fish. Clementine was extremely swollen and her eyes were really big...she had pop-eye. I told my grandma to fast the whole tank for a couple of days, as she is in a sorority with bottom feeders (just great...). Her eye swelling went down in two days and she had been fine until last night. Fast forward: My grandma called me this morning saying that Clementine had been slow all night and that I needed to come over and look at her. She was sitting on top of the tank's floater plants, gasping for air. She has also started to pinecone.

Now I have her in a QT being treated with one tsp of epsom salt (100% magnesium sulfate). I'm using her original tank water as she has sound parameters in there, and I don't want to do too many changes at once, since this is such a sensitive and life-threatening illness. Also, her original tank water has tannins in it from both her plants, IALs, and black water extract.

I have pics of the pineconning that I will be uploading soon (this laptop won't let me).
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Here are the pics. I'm trying not to cry. She's breathing REALLY hard and she just tried laying on her side. My depression is starting to kick in really hard....
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 
Julio1983

oh no!!
poor thing...
im afraid I cant offer you any advice, but wish you luck in treating your fishy xo
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do a search for OFL's Epsom salt treatment for dropsy. Basically, it involves mixing up a "treatment solution" containing 3 tsp Epsom salt/gal, and using this to do 50% water changes every other day for up to 10-14 days. This will gradually increase the dosage of Epsom salt over time.....

If you don't want to do frequent water changes, you can remove a cup of tank water and dissolve some Epsom salt in it. Then, pour it back into the tank over the period of about 30-60 minutes. Don't raise the dosage by more than 0.5 teaspoons every 12 hours though. For example:
Now: 1 tsp/gal
12 hrs: Add 0.5 tsp/gal. (Total dosage is now 1.5 tsp/gal)
24 hrs: Add 0.5 tsp/gal. (Total dosage is now 2 tsp/gal)
36 hrs: Add 0.5 tsp/gal. (Total dosage is now 2.5 tsp/gal)
48 hrs: Add 0.5 tsp/gal. (Total dosage is now 3 tsp/gal)
Then, maintain a dosage of 3 tsp/gal by using premixed 'treatment solution' for water changes.

Also, do you have Kanaplex (kanamycin)? This is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic that can treat internal and external bacterial diseases. You can combine the Kanaplex with the Epsom salt.

(If you think it's fungal/parasitical, you can also add in something with metronidazole, such as API General Cure.)
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Thank LBF! I've already started the treatment as mentioned in the OP. I'm doing what I can, as it takes 15 mins to get back and forth from my grandparents. Right now she's in the QT on my living room table at my place. I'll be able to get kanaplex tomorrow, as PetCo closes in six minutes and there's no way I'd be able to get there in time from where I'm at (if I had ten minutes....maybe). Tonight will be her first night in the epsom salt treatment. I hope those are good enough pics for anyone who needs to know what pine-coning looks like.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Unfortunately, yes, those are quality photos of pineconing.... Poor little girl.....

How is she doing?
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #7 
NorthernLights

Unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to get Kanaplex at Petco. They don't stock a lot of fish medicines. PetsMart doesn't carry it either, AFAIK. You will need to find a LFS that has it, or order it online. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24795

is probably your best bet, other than a good LFS. You may need to call around. I *think* I've seen Sakura recommend using Maracyn 1 & 2 *together* when people cannot get kanaplex.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #8 
shellieca

Ahh, I know how you feel I've been down the dropsy road many times. I hope you're able to treat her successfully.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh...well...I suppose I need to order it ASAP then, huh...thank you for the info about kanaplex. I didn't know I couldn't get it at PetCo. I finally live near one, too! :(

Also, thank you guys for the well wishes on her treatment. She's such a great girl...she was always the mediator in the sorority...not sure what my girls will do without her.

I just took out 50% of her water and I'm getting ready to put in 50% worth of the new treatment water. I've kept her water level down so she doesn't have to swim much, since she doesn't have anything to rest on anymore. She's still pine coning pretty bad, but her swelling has gone down.....I hope that's good. I fasted her yesterday as she was so large. She's prone to constipation as well...so this just keeps getting worse and worse...She swims up to the edge of her QT when I look at her...I hope I don't lose her. I have no issue with her having her own tank if she makes it through this. :(
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #10 
Kalari32

How is she doing?
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta dropsy, clementine, dropsy, sick