Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #1 
summersea

Exclamation First Time Betta Owner - Bad case of fin rot?!?!

I have owned Blue-Bo for about 6 weeks. He was very healthy for the first 4 weeks (lots of bubble nests). Then I began noticing his tail was getting tears. I thought it was the decorations so I got him silk-Betta friendly plants. About a week ago I noticed the discoloration on his tail fin (grayish-blackish-red). I got some API Melafix and did a 100% water change. I also added AQ Salt. I did the Melafix for 7 days but haven't seen any results. I just is another 50% water change with salt today.

Blue-Bo is in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater (roughy 78) and a small tetra filter. I have been doing 50% water changes once a week (though after looking through the forum I suspect that isn't enough for his little tank. I am use to my 29 gallon tank at work). Here is (hopefully- since this is my first attempt attaching a pic) a picture of Blue-Bo today... Name:  image.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  54.9 KB

Since this is my first Betta I want to be sure that this is fin rot and if so, how do I make my poor guy better?! I appreciate all help!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 
summersea

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  61.0 KB

And here is a picture from about a week ago...there isn't much difference in the tail fin except more tears...
Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #3 
sainthogan

This looks more like tail biting to me. You will sometimes see red on the areas where he's been biting because he's bleeding. More water changes will definitely help, melafix will not, so stop using that (this is a highly controversial product since it contains tea tree oil, and many believe that it can coat the labyrinth lung and cause suffocation). Giving him lots of hiding places and lots of interaction can help stop him from biting, but some fish never do stop - they just get frustrated with all that finnage weighing them down and try to get rid of it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #4 
summersea

He lives in my mom's office where she works from home. Neither she nor I have seen him bite at his tail (he is actually a pretty passive fish...the only time he has flared was when I was trying to get a good pic and he got annoyed with me). Also, I thought the discoloration was a sign of fin rot...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Well, he could be developing fin rot from the biting, but you won't see him bite, most people never do. If he's doing it from a lack of interaction with you, he will definitely do it when you are not around.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 
summersea

It is definitely possible he does it at night. He gets quite a bit of attention during the day...Mom has him on a routine She wakes up and feeds him, I wake up (usually a couple hours later) and go play with him. Then Mom works on tricks during lunch break (working on following the finger and coming to the top on command). He then gets fed at night with a bit more practice on his tricks. Plus he gets quite a bit of attention throughout the day (he is kinda the star of the house hold ).

What can I do from the fin rot that might have been caused by his fin nipping?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Warm, clean water is the best thing for healing fins. You can continue to use the aquarium salt, but for no more than 14 days.