Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #1 
Elizamcm

Exclamation I need more opinions - sick betta - SBD/FIN ROT?!

Below is my previous thread which has all tank info needed. I will add any more information below.

Exclamation Please help my diagnose, previous treatments not working (with pictures)
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes very low current
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari bio gold betta pellets and frozen bloodworm (on alternate days) I fast him 1 day a week usually
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% every few days, 100% just over every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? NOT TESTED

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearancechanged? Fins seem weary and not as full
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Constantly laying on the tank floor to one side
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few weeks
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried 2 Epsom salt baths, fasting him for 3 days, ordered new food as stated above (was previously feeding flakes)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea how old he was when I got him but I got him in April 2014

Please help me diagnose... I thought it was swim bladder disease or some kind of constipation so I gave him an Epsom salt bath yesterday and two days before
But this doesn't seem to have worked, he hasn't pooed for ages and if he has its only been the tiniest bit and I can't see it in his tank, also worried about fin rot now!! :( please help diagnose and advise on future treatment to cure and prevent!

My Wilson is not getting any better so please please help. I have been keeping up with daily 50% water changes and all he does is lay on the bottom and then come up for air. I have been fasting him for almost a week so I can't keep that up much longer without him starving?! Please help if you know what you're talking about!!! Because I just don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

Since this I have been using Epsom salt. It's been a week and I've seen no change in his behaviour and his fins seem like they are deteriorating.
I was advised to use 1 tsp Epsom salt to the gallon, remove all decor/gravel etc, lower the water line and attempt to feed just one pellet a day. (Thank you to the members for helping so far)!

He scales are now slightly raised and breathing looks like gasping!!!!

Since this he is still just laying flat on the bottom, his fins look like they are deteriorating and he now will not eat!!!!!! :(

I need any suggestions! I'm short on money at the moment just FYI....

Please suggest any other things I can do to help him.

Last edited by Elizamcm; 07-20-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to add
Elizamcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #2 
Elizamcm

Unhappy

Having researched.... I think it's dropsy look at his scales!!!!!!!! :'( suggestions?!
Attached Images

Last edited by Elizamcm; 07-20-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Epsom Salt baths aren't long enough to actually effect the fish, keep him in a solution of 1 tsp/gal for a couple days.

Do you have a whole pic of him and one from above as well?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #4 
Elizamcm

Lil, I've added an album on my profile. Please let me know if you need any more - it wouldn't allow me to add them on to this thread for some strange reason!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Could be the beginnings of Dropsy. It also looks like he bit his fin, that's no Fin Rot that I see on him.

You can try KanaPlex if you can order it (it's not normally sold in stores) and continue ES while you treat.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #6 
Elizamcm

I can't find it anywhere to order to the UK unless I spend either 70 which I don't have at he moment or I wait a few more weeks for it... I might just be looking in the wrong places!! is there any similar medications available that you know of?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #7 
Elizamcm

Just as a side note the photo that is a zoomed out version of the one above his tail is curled round!! It's not all gone though it looks that way
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can't reverse Dropsy if it is. You can try a different antibiotic in case it's something internal, Maracyn Plus or Maracyn II may help.

You can try using a Methylene Blue bath to help the oxygen to the cells. It will at least help his fins. Use 9 drops of M. Blue to a gallon of conditioned water and mix it up. Do not use on tank with silicone; it stains! Best to use in a hospital tank or bowl. Add fish and let soak for 30 minutes, remove fish with a net and place back in normal tank.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #9 
Elizamcm

Okay thank you, it looks like it's dropsy just from what I've researched... Scales are worse today reeeeeally pine coned. Please look at the album I've added another photo taken around 5 minutes ago.

I'll look online to see if I can get any of these medications... I guess it's worth a try just in case :/

On closer look one of his eyes is swollen too...

Last edited by Elizamcm; 07-20-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Missed info
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, unfortunately, he's not going to make it. His kidney's or liver have shut down and there's no way to reverse it unfortunately. I'm sorry. You can still try things if you want to, but I doubt they'll have any good effect on him :-/