Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Exclamation Tailbiting Tips?! 1 Step Forward, 2 Back...

Hello again everyone out there in Betta Land! My two year old daughter and I have a veil tail named Buttercup. I have narrowed down the reason for his tail biting to some form of discontent when we leave the apartment. Oddly, he doesn't bite his tail when we sleep for ten hours straight, but when we have the audacity to leave him all by his lonesome, he bites all of the new re-growth from his tail. I bought him a Zoo Med Hammock and Floating Log. I also tried leaving the lights on or off, decor outside the tank, and a ping pong ball all with no results. If I remember tomorrow, I will try leaving the radio on for him when we leave, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for things we can try.

Buttercup lives in a three gallon tank with a small filter and an air bubbler that changes colors on an extremely low setting. He seems to enjoy the bubbles and they don't disrupt the water flow because I have it set so low that only one bubble is released at a time. I use half Prime and half Stress Coat for water conditioner because we have ammonia in our tap water, but I also want the benefit of the stress coat aloe for his coat. In addition, I soak his NLS pellets and frozen blood worms in Vita-Chem and add 1 drop/gallon of the Vita-Chem weekly. I am currently doing either daily 1 gallon water changes or 2 gallon changes every other day because when he bites his tail, the edges that were bitten look like they get fin rot. I had used AQ salt for a week and a half which greatly reduced the rot, but had to stop as not to cause other problems or make him immune to its benefits.

He seems to begin regrowth quickly and he would probably have most of his tail back by now if we decided to become homebodies and never go out. As that is not realistic, I would love to hear anything that anyone else has tried with positive results. Besides the tail biting, Buttercup is a healthy, active fish with a good appetite. I will post some pictures now:

This was taken Wednesday night. You can see a bunch of clear regrowth filling in the tears and along the edges. We take ONE STEP FORWARD...

Then TWO STEPS BACK!!!

HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sorry, I don't think I got back to your PM but you can soak his food in Vita-Chem as well, that would probably be better than dosing the tank since you do the water changes so often, you know?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

I am soaking his frozen bloodworms in VitaChem, but I can't with his pellets because they sink
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, I usually use tweezers or a spoon with the pellets and they can eat off of it so that way it doesn't sink as much and if one does I get the turkey baster out. But BW's is great too!!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #5 
HeadlessLegoMom

I do use tweezers and have my baster, but it is just easier to do the Vitachem with the BW
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I hear ya and that's totally fine!! Good for him too ^_^

how much decoration does he have in the tank? Hides or fake plants at all?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

Okay, silly question: Do you do anything in particular when you leave? Like going up to the tank to say "Good-Bye?" Or when you come home give him treats or anything?

Don't know if it can apply to fish, but in dogs owners greatly contribute to separation anxiety by making a big deal out of leaving and coming home. It's best to be matter-of-fact.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #8 
HeadlessLegoMom

No I don't do either of those things. The only thing I can think is that maybe he can tell the vibration of the front door. Either that or he is sleeping/resting at night so it doesn't bother him to be alone, but he gets bored/lonely during the late afternoon into evening without someone talking to him?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

Does he have any tankmates? That might help. A Nerite snail would work. They're really pretty.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #10 
HeadlessLegoMom

Hmm I guess I could get a snail, but I heard people say that they can come with diseases or that they procreate and take over the tank?