Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nerites cannot breed in freshwater (at least it's nearly a miracle if they do) and they poop the least amount out of all the snails. However I do recomend at least a 5 since they can get big, but if you get a small one he should be fine for now
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #12 
HeadlessLegoMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, I hear ya and that's totally fine!! Good for him too ^_^

how much decoration does he have in the tank? Hides or fake plants at all?
I didn't see the bottom question yesterday. Yes, he has a betta hammock and a floating log on top then on the bottom he has a silk flower, a bushy red thing (It is soft fibers), and a mermaid statue which doesn't provide a hiding spot, but still counts as decor. (My daughter loves it) He didn't go near any of the bottom decor until I got rid of that dreadful anenome though. He mostly favors the hammock and swimming loops around the suction cups in the tank, but now that he is getting used to the floating log, he swims through there as well.

I also have a floating glass seahorse on the way, but I think that I should either get taller silk plants now that the tank is bigger or maybe try a live plant for him.

I went to the Pet Store briefly today, but the only snails they had were Mystery Snails. The employee suggested getting a mini catfish, but I am not sure I want another species swimming in the tank that I have to learn all about...
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, yeah I think getting some sort of hiding place for him will be beneficial. Have you tried turning off the bubble stone at all? I know it's on super low but it's worth a try to see if it's that bothering him more or not.

And yeah, taller silk plants would be good, live is great but that's entirely up to you. And I say no on the catfish, they mean Corydoras and they are shoaling fish which means they have to be in groups for social reasons otherwise they can be extremely skittish and shy and potentially die. Now there are cases where a catfish has been happy to live alone but I wouldn't take that chance :-/

If you want to get some cheap good silk plants online, drsfosterandsmith.com has some really great ones for a dollar something each! I've actually just ordered quite a few for like QT tanks so they're not just sitting there doing nothing when they're sick so that's good. I'll tell you about their quality when they come in which should be today or tomorrow/friday but they look good online! lol

And yeah, nerites you usually have to go to a local store that's family run or something because the bigger stores won't ever have them. You can also order from online as well; AquaBid/Ebay are good.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #14 
HeadlessLegoMom

Thanks! Let me know how the silk ones look when you get them. I tried turning it off and he kept swimming to it expectantly. He was biting before the air stone and always liked me to gently blow on the top of his water before he moved into his new tank.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, I just wanted to make sure is all. Sometimes you just never know.

And yes! I'll definitely take pictures of the plants and stuff when they come in, I'm rather excited to have them even though I've got a bajillion real plants XD lol too funny!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Tes, tailbiting is a pernicious habit. If it's any consolation, they frequently outgrow it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's good to know Hally
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #18 
HeadlessLegoMom

Doesn't Pernicious mean deadly?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

it means that is basically bad for the health so him tailbiting is affecting his health basically is what she's saying.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #20 
HeadlessLegoMom

Gotcha. Beyond leaving open wounds as targets for infections/fin rot, is there other harm caused?