Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not really, that's pretty much all I can think of. And then if that rot get's too bad, it can start to effect the body and eat the body away...which is no fun...

I just find it so weird he's a VT! Normally this stuff happens to HM's and Rose Tailed boy's which I feel bad about. They usually bite because their finnage is dragging them down or they bite because they're frustrated they can't get at something or something is bothering them. I'm sure he has the latter of the two but it's still odd I feel.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #22 
HeadlessLegoMom

Oh really? I thought that I had read it was common in VT. Or maybe that was the fin blow-outs. I think that my brain automatically jumps to him getting back at me for going out because I have a particularly SPITEFUL little two year old.

I told her not to do something dangerous the other day and she poured a bottle of bubblebath in my bed while I was changing the tank water. If she hadn't done the same two days earlier on the carpet after I asked her not to climb up onto the sink in the bathroom, I might have thought it to be an accident! Not to mention painting the floor with toothpaste when I told her not to play in the dirty tank water. *sigh*
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh boy, yeah you got your hands full that's for sure!! lol well good luck with her either way!

Blow-outs are more common in HM's as well, VT's really aren't known for much as far as damaging their fins, at least none that I've heard of. CT's are prone to fin curling, HM's prone to blow-outs and Rose/Feather tail likely to fin bite.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #24 
HeadlessLegoMom

It's just weird that he never did it before, and then we went out for about 20 hours which is the first time he had been left to his own devices, and that is what he decided to do to pass the time. Maybe we spoiled him by constantly talking to him, singing to him, putting on musical fishy discos with flashing lights and showed him how good life could be outside the pet store, then disappeared all of a sudden and he didn't know how to handle it.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is possible. I do find that my fish are very attached to me and quite apparently some of them get depressed when I leave for 3 days to go to my mom's. Thankfully they don't do anything but it's still apparent.

It might be kind of like a drug for him too? you know? Like he tried it once and now can't stop doing it? lol, sounds silly but I'm sure it goes something like that.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #26 
HeadlessLegoMom

That's how nail biting is. It just seems that if it were an addiction then he would be compelled to do it all the time not just the couple of days a week we go out. Oh well.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That is true, but there are also trigger's. It's more like a tick rather than a habit. So you guys going out is his trigger and that results in tail-biting. Like nervousness can cause nail biting.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #28 
HeadlessLegoMom

OMG OMG OMG today we went out for TWELVE HOURS and came home to...
NO NEW BITE MARKS ON BUTTERCUP'S FINS!!!!!!!!!! All of his regrowth was intact! I tried leaving a smaller light on for him, and *fingers crossed* so far so good! Hurray!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG, I totally thought you were going to say his tail was completely off or something!! Scared the crap outta me! lol

But that's great!!!!! I hope he continues on that path! !!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #30 
HeadlessLegoMom

:bluelaugh : :bluelaugh : :bluelaugh :
TWO DAYS IN A ROW!!! (And I even forgot the light today...Whoops)
:bluelaugh : :bluelaugh : :bluelaugh :