Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #11 
fishyinpa

Oh i stir every week lol. The moon sand looks really nice,but more expensive. All up to you though.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #12 
LaniBaby

yeesh. i called petsmart. they want $25 for 20 lbs of either the white or tahitian moon sand. sigh.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #13 
fishyinpa

Yup. Now ya know why we got with play sand lol. Walmart has the playsand too. 3 something for 50lbs. Cheaper then lowes or home depot lol. Just get ready to clean it. its a pain. lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #14 
LaniBaby

i'm wondering if it might not be worth it to drop the $25 on it for a little extra peace of mind and slightly less rinsing. I only have 2 tanks at 3 gallons a piece so the 25 lbs should cover the whole shebang and then some.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #15 
fishyinpa

Hmm well its up to you really. Lots of people go with the more expensive for less hassle. I think the black sand would look awesome btw. Yeah you would have lots left over still,but slightly less than extra than if you got 50lbs
Old 05-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #16 
whitedevil

oh youll have extras, i hear to stay either at 1" of sand or 6" of sand to stop the compacting and gas pockets.

If you do get it, ill buy the extra off you if you dont want it around. I could use extra due to the planting going on this weekend in the tank.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #17 
LaniBaby

ok i went out and got the 20 lb moonsand. i was going to get the white but it was like powder! the guy at petsmart said it's mainly for larger tanks that have a buffer area where it has more room to settle at the bottom. he also suggested reptisand but after we discussed and he noticed i was nervous about it changing the water chemistry, he said go with the moonsand.

Whitedevil, where do you live? I don't know how easy it is to ship off 10 lbs of moonsand. :)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #18 
LaniBaby

oh.. i was looking at the bettas and there was a red VT that had almost a butterfly pattern, though not quite. the tips of his fins were pure white. i put him down and walked away and when i came back he was gone. a father and his 4 year old daughter bought him. i fear for that fish..... they didn't look terribly knowledgeable. :(
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #19 
onekatietwo

How does cleaning sand work? Wouldn't it be sucked up with the vacuum since it is so light? Or do you not use a vacuum? I've never used sand before and I'm interested in it as well. I've heard it's good for planted aquariums and it also looks really cool!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #20 
LaniBaby

the guy at the store said a vacuum may suck it up but that a turkey baster would work. i'm not sure either, though, since i've heard with some practice, a vacuum works just fine with the right technique.

i've rinsed this tahitian moon sand a bazillion times. i hope it's enough!! i'll be redoing crumb's whole tank tomorrow morning. i'm just waiting for my 3rd gallon of water to age a little and warm up.