Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #1 
Elisew

No sign of ich/whitespot.....continue treatment or not?

My Betta Chimlin is on the 6th day of treatment today as per the instructions on the Protozin meds.

I can`t see any signs of the ich/whitespot anywhere on him at all now, he`s much happier, perkier and almost back to normal colouring.

Instructions on the meds say to do a water change 48 hours after the last treatment on the 6th day.
Seeing as Chimlin seems to be clear now would it seem sensible and approriate after the water change to look at planting and redecorating his tank so he can be `back to normal` in his tank or is it recommended that treatment be continued for another couple of days.....just to be sure??

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #2 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

When I treated for ich I followed the instructions to the letter. I waited a full 48 hours until AFTER the last visible white spot seen by the naked eye was gone. In my opinion that is the only way you can be assured that the ich is truly gone. I'd hate for you to have to treat Chimlin a second time for ich, and he'd hate it too!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #3 
jeaninel

I would treat for another 3 days after the last signs of ich. I believe the life cycle of ich once it drops off the fish (depending on the temp in your tank) is about 3 days. The free swimming stage of ich is the only time it can be killed with medication.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #4 
Elisew

Thanks very much for your replies aunt kymmie and jeaninel 8)

The temp has been approx 88/90 for the last 5 days. I put the heater up slowly over a couple of days to quicken the cycle of the parasite.

I have read some differing opinions on how others have treated ich/whitespot and if treating Chimlin for another 3 days is definitely worth doing then I`m happy to do that. I`m just concerned that if I treat him for any longer than is really neccessary, is it then doing more harm than good?

Lise x
Old 05-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #5 
jeaninel

No, especially if he is doing well, it is not doing any harm. It's best to make sure you kill all the ich so he doesn't have a relapse.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #6 
Twistersmom

I agree with all of the above.
I would treat for a few more days.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #7 
Elisew

Ok, thanks guys, I guess the majority vote goes to the extra few days of treatment 8)

One (ish) last question......will another 3 days do it, then a complete water change and sort the tank out again?

Lise x