Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

What are you doing with your fry/babies? Rehoming, selling, culling?

Since it's not possible to get all perfect, breedable or showable fish where are the rest of your healthy fish going? I am curious to know how people plan ahead for this.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

subbing because I too want to know!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
GhostFeather

I sell some online,local flea markets,run an add in the newspaper,give some away.
I only cull the obviously deformed or sick.
Some of the ones I cull,others may keep and some that I keep,others might cull.
Culling is a personal decision.
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 
SeaKnight

I have had 2 clutches born.. 1 Molly, 1 guppy.... total of 20 fry.

Surviving 12 Mollies, one guppy... of the survivors I have 6 mollies and the lone guppy... other six Mollies were rehomed to the lady I received my 70g set up from...
SeaKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Remember, any fish you don't keep is a cull. We just think of killing automatically when we hear cull.

I would always sell as many as you possibly can, which isn't too hard if you breed decent quality fish and sell/advertise on forums, facebook, locally, etc.

After at you can give them away (they can just pay shipping)... Same thing... Advertise.

I'm with GhostFeather... I don't think it's right to bring life into the world then destroy it because it doesn't look perfect. Deformed or other damaged fish are different... Depending on how serious it is those would be euthanized. Then again, it's a very personal decision.

To avoid getting into a situation where you have 100+ adult fish you can remove eggs from the nest right as you remove the female... At that point they aren't developed enough to feel anything.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #6 
Bootsie

I will be using the undesired colors/deformaties as feeders. Giving some to friends who have proper set ups and the rest my local pet store will buy/give store credit
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #7 
trilobite

I sell them, give them to people and the bad ones get given away as feeders
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

I cull eggs it there are too many. I like my spawns right around 100. Some just die so I do not have hundreds to rehome out of each spawn.
Everybody I know wants the females for sororities. That's where all the girls go that don't get sold. I'm saving up a bunch for my good friends salon. I'm going to stock a large heavily planted tank for her and take care of it weekly. I sold a bunch of males and I kept some for myself. I give away what I can. Some go in the aquaponics tank and they do get eaten by my channel cats. So I technically kill some by feeding them to the catfish. Any others like small fry that are deformed get put in an ice bath. They are just too small at that time to feed to other fish. I do my best to get the deformities in the first month if I can spot them-things like bent spines or missing eyes. My favorite part is sitting on my stool watching my fry tanks-so they get looked at a lot.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #9 
Myates

If it's a deformity that will affect their swimming/life overall in a negative way I will euthanize them. Otherwise anything left over is sent to a wholeseller friend of mine who lives nearby - luckily haven't had any fish left over to send to him yet.. lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote