Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #1 
zacheyp

removing female mid spawning

Hello, I hope all is well. So I've been thinking that I finally want to breeding Bettas!!!!! (In case you couldn't tell, I'm very excited.) That being said I know that i do not have the space for 30 + bettas. What I was thinking is after the female lays the first group of eggs I remove her. That way there are very few fertilized eggs. My only question is, will this be harmful for the female? Considering she will have more eggs in her and no male to squeeze them out im not sure if this is a good idea or not, thoughts? Thanks
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You could let them spawn naturally and just remove as many eggs as you want from the nest. Interrupting them mid spawn might stress the male and the female, but the female would not be damaged because of it.

Honestly, part of being prepared to breed is being prepared to house a lot of bettas...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3 
zacheyp

I'd rather not get into the proccess of removing eggs. As long as it wont hurt the female im gonna remove her after one squeeze. Hopefully others agree
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #4 
trilobite

+1 Matt
Id be worried about stressing the male and causing him to eat the eggs. How do you plan on removing the female?
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
+1 Matt
Id be worried about stressing the male and causing him to eat the eggs. How do you plan on removing the female?
That is a very good question in all honesty I hadn't gotten that far in my thinking suggestions are welcome Thank you
Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #6 
Beezu

they pretty much squeeze, pick up, squeeze, pick up, squeeze, etc

so youd be taking the female out when she was all zombified or when she was picking up eggs, or during the next squeeze. in my experience, there isnt really a time they arent doing something important during the whole process
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

I wouldn't take her out mid spawn. It could really stress them out. It takes a few embraces before they really get the hang of it and actually fertilize the eggs. It is common for the female to release no eggs in the first few embraces.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #8 
zacheyp

So how could I limit spawn size
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #9 
DoctorWhoLuver

As Matt said, you can remove some of the eggs from the nest after they have finished spawning. However, if the father feels threatened then he may eat all the eggs.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #10 
Bootsie

In my case, she still looked pretty full but they had been at it for a few hours and they had gone to different ends of the tanks. He wasn't chasing her from the nest they just seemed exhausted. I took that moment to take her out. So if you insist on mid spawn removal maybe wait for that to happen, for them to take a breather.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote