Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 
Larthan

Hello there, new Betta mom here!

Hiya. I managed to find this forum while searching for pictures of different tail types and colors to show my SO, since he's a bit jealous about me getting to keep our new addition to the family on my desk to myself!

I'm a 25 year old artist and web admin, but I'm sure you guys would rather meet Sputnik, my new little red/metallic crowntail boy. He is my first betta.

Our roomates moved in with their halfmoon boy who's about two or three years old, and I couldn't help myself, and started planning for one of my own. I got a three gallon tank with filter, lights and small bubbler (filter is gentle and doesn't create a strong current), a couple of hides and a nice broadleaf plant that reaches the top of the tank and stretches across to give him something to lay on when he wants to...

Then, I purchased this fellow:

(picture right after he was released from his container after a few hours of floating it in the tank)

His tank:

Showing off (scaring that strange fish in the mirror away from his tank):

And flaring at mom:

He's got a really pretty gold-to-silver coloration under his red, the gold on his head and turning silver down his sides and on his fins.

Yes. I made a mistake, and got him from Petsmart. I saw him and fell in love. He wasn't one of the veiltails (I knew I didn't want one of those, but that's all I expected), and was the only fella who even gave me the light of day when I took a look at him. He wasn't flaring at everyone, but he was very attentive, and came up to the edge of the cup making faces at me. I couldn't resist.

So! Here we are! :)
Larthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

He is amazing. Great job on the tank. Only question I have is: Does his tank have a heater?
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #3 
Larthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
He is amazing. Great job on the tank. Only question I have is: Does his tank have a heater?
His tank does not have a heater, though currently it sits at 76F without the overhead light on at night, and gets to between 80 and 82 during the day with the lamp turned on. I've got a 40 watt bulb in there, so not too much power. I keep an eye on the temp several times a day just in case. The bubbler also has alternating lights that I think help keep it warmed up for him.

I am, though, planning on getting a heater just in case. He seems very active and happy (nice spread fins, not clamped, always swimming around and exploring) even at the coolest it's ever gotten (74F, though it's a stick-on thermometer, I need to get an in-tank one for better accuracy).

It's been years (and I mean, around 13-15 years) since I've had a fish at all, and this is my first betta, so I've been trying to be extra careful with him.
Larthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #4 
txbettaowner

We appreciate extra careful beginners than beginners that get a .5 gallon tank for a betta and they think the betta is alright in that size. I never owned a betta until November of last year. I first started off with a .5 gallon, then a 1.5 gallon then a 10 gallon, etc. As long as his temperature stays consistent and doesn't fluctuate so much then he should be fine.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #5 
BettaLover1313

Congrats on your new betta & welcome to the forum!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new betta red newbie