Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #1 
Indefinitive

Okay, so its not an emergency... yet.

I know, I know. I just got a fish yesterday. But I saw one today that I think needs some help when I went back to the store to grab some new decorations.

I've never seen SBD before today, but I've spent hours looking at symptoms for diseases that my boys could get to know enough to spot it. This little guy just lies at the top, completely on his side (no tilt, just 90 degrees), and he looks rather bloated. I was on the phone with my friend at the time when I spotted him, and must have said, "Aww, I think he needs me." and she suggested that I bring him home and treat him.

However, I don't know anything about treating a fish with SBD, and, of course, the things I find on Google can only go so far. I find that personal advice from other owners is so much more helpful than anything I've ever found on Google. If anyone has any tips on making this little fellow well again, I'd really appreciate it. =)

Last edited by Indefinitive; 05-05-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try fasting him for a few days, then feed him some daphnia, frozen or freeze dried. Freeze dried needs to be rehydrated and frozen needs to be thawed. Poor thing, I hope he gets along ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #3 
Campbell

I'm not quite understanding, did you purchase him or not yet? Either way good luck.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #4 
Indefinitive

Thanks, DQ. But, ugh, I can't find any daphnia anywhere in this damned city. I've called three stores, and none of them carry it. If I can't get my hands on any, I've heard that cooked peas work well. However, I'm not sure as to how well in relation to the daphnia.

I haven't purchased him yet. I'll be going back tomorrow to get him. I wanted to go home and do some research and prep the quarantine tank before I did anything.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, if you can't get your hands on some daphnia, the pea should work. I think you can use frozen or canned. I've never used them on mine. Be sure to take the shell off. Hopefully, he'll eat it. Since a lot of bettas don't eat the first few days home, I'm wondering if you could just fast him the first few days, then try the pea.Good luck with him and let us know how he's doing.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Good Luck! I hope the little guy pulls through for you! ;]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #7 
Indefinitive

Oh, one more question. I know that when fish are sick, a quarantine tank should be used. However, this sickness isn't contagious. Would it be okay to divide one of my 10 gallon tanks for him? Fiyero doesn't seem to like all of the open space, oddly enough.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I'd keep him separate for now. You never know what he might have that isn't showing up right now.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #9 
Indefinitive

Thats true. I'll keep him in a quarantine tank until I'm done treating him.