Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #1 
FishAreFriendsNotFood

Please Help My Poor Fishy!

Hello, I am new here and created an account to ask for help and advice on caring for my male halfmoon betta, Fishy. I purchased him from a pet store about thirteen months ago along with a female veiltail betta. Both live in seperate 1/2 gallon tanks, and while the veiltail is currently behaving normally, my poor Fishy seems sick. His fins have been deteriorating for about six months and they are nearly gone now. He also has been eating very little for roughly the same time frame. I've been wondering if he is blind, as sometimes a piece of food will be right in front of him and he will let it fall to the bottom of the tank without chasing after it. For the past few months he has been very inactive and he has mostly just sat at the top of his tank and laid on his side, however, as of a few days ago it looks like he has been trying to swim around more. What is wrong with my little guy? I am by no means a betta expert and really just want to know how to help my little Fishy. Is he suffering right now? If more information is needed to help identify what is wrong with him, don't hesitate to ask.
Here is a picture of Fishy now. I have additional pictures but cannot figure out how to add more than one picture per post, so I will post them a little later.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  31.9 KB
Thank you for your help!
FishAreFriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 
FishAreFriendsNotFood

Here is a picture of Fishy shortly after I got him.
Views: 84
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 
FishAreFriendsNotFood

This is one more picture of him tonight.
Views: 84
Size:  29.9 KB
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please fill out this form so we have more information? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also, do you have any Epsom salt? It should be plain magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.) It's available at supermarkets and pharmacies (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc.) and is not expensive.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-30-2013 at 07:07 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #5 
FishAreFriendsNotFood

Here is the form! Thank you for the suggestion of Epsom salt, I will go and get some later today to try.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? I do not know how to measure this.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He has no tank mates.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? He will only eat about three pellets every other day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A drop of Melafix and eight drops of water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not tested the water, but I use spring water in his tank.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He used to be bright blue in color but gradually became much darker. His fins and tail have also been deteriorating and while they used to be long and healthy, they are now almost completely gone.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has become very inactive and generally just floats at the top of his tank on his side, but for the past few days it has looked like he is trying to swim down more and more. He also eats less and has a hard time finding food when I put it in the water. He will let it fall to the bottom of the tank and will not chase after it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Around the end of December of 2012, so about seven months ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried putting Melafix and water conditioner in his tank when I first noticed the problem but it did not prevent the fin and tail damage from progressing. I have not done much else other than changing his water, and I honestly thought he wasn't going to make it much longer. However, over the past few days he has been more active than before so I wanted to try and save him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? This is the only problem I have had with him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I purchased him from a pet store thirteen months ago, but I do not know how old he was when I got him.

Any help would be appreciated!