Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Veiltails shouldn't always have their fins clamped, example of my VT:

Name:  IMG_4320.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  51.6 KB

He's swimming even, and his fins aren't like that.
Regards of the VT comment, I agree with TX.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #12 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
It's always been like that? :/

That means he's stressed. Tank size? Temperature? The thing I usually tell people is, if you can't get the necessary supplies, then don't get the animal. Please, don't get any more until you have bought the supplies for this one.
I have the proper supplies, I would have never bought him if I didn't. I knew from the get go that babies were a lot more fragile so I made sure he had what he needed. He's in a 3g tank with a temp of 78. I don't mean to come across as rude but I'm in no way stupid or an irresponsible fish owner. I've had bettas on and off for over 15 yrs. I've just never had a baby before and I didn't know how to tell the sex/type. I'm not sure why he would be stressed, he is very well taken care of. I just assumed that babies didn't "flare" because they were babies.
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnewcome View Post
I have the proper supplies, I would have never bought him if I didn't. I knew from the get go that babies were a lot more fragile so I made sure he had what he needed. He's in a 3g tank with a temp of 78. I don't mean to come across as rude but I'm in no way stupid or an irresponsible fish owner. I've had bettas on and off for over 15 yrs. I've just never had a baby before and I didn't know how to tell the sex/type. I'm not sure why he would be stressed, he is very well taken care of. I just assumed that babies didn't "flare" because they were babies.
I didn't say you were stupid or irresponsible. I was being blunt, because I care. (:

Babies.. Oh yes, they flare alright. Had one, feisty feisty.. If you can, I think raising the temp. to around 82F will do him some good. It'll also make him grow faster, with all that stunting he's been through in the past.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #14 
txbettaowner

Are you feeding him any live food or any frozen food?

Thank you Lebron.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #15 
txbettaowner

Even this betta is swimming normal and he is a veiltail. No betta no matter fin type should have clamped fins.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/kas...la/4769254617/
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #16 
kjnewcome

Quote:
I didn't say you were stupid or irresponsible. I was being blunt, because I care. (:

Babies.. Oh yes, they flare alright. Had one, feisty feisty.. If you can, I think raising the temp. to around 82F will do him some good. It'll also make him grow faster, with all that stunting he's been through in the past.
Lebron,
I'm sorry if I over reacted to your comment. I shouldn't have let it offend me so much but I pride myself on providing excellent care to all my pets (fins or fur). I have spent hundreds of dollars on tanks, heaters, food and such so that my fish will have a nice comfy life.

Like I said, when I bought Lil' Blue he looked like this, only smaller. I wanted so bad to save him because nearly half the babies they had at Petco were dead or dying. Yes, I should have did a little reading about them before I bought him but I knew he wasn't going to make it if I didn't buy him. I have provided him with a happy, warm home and good food. Beyond that I don't know what more I can do. I will try raising the temp to see if that helps (thanks for that advice). If there is anything else you can think of please do let me know. I really do appreciate the tips.

I'm not new to the betta world, just new to the baby betta world. All I know is that I don't feel guilty, I have done and will continue to do all I can to help him grow and live a long life. The only bettas I have ever lost died from old age, not illness or improper care. Our female, Princess, lived for nearly 5 yrs so it's not as if I am not committed or I don't care.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #17 
bettaHI

I agree with Lebron when he said to raise the temp. Do you have some IAL by any chance? I think it will help. My baby betta from petco looked exactly like that when I got it. I kept it in 86 degree water with IAL and he was fine within a week. Goodluck with that little guy!
bettaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #18 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaHI View Post
I agree with Lebron when he said to raise the temp. Do you have some IAL by any chance? I think it will help. My baby betta from petco looked exactly like that when I got it. I kept it in 86 degree water with IAL and he was fine within a week. Goodluck with that little guy!
Thank you! :) I really appreciate the tips.

Last edited by kjnewcome; 07-30-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

I'm a she. lol And again, it's alright. And yep, pride is everywhere. Even in my household. ^^"

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #20 
kjnewcome

Quote:
I'm a she. lol And again, it's alright. And yep, pride is everywhere. Even in my household. ^^"

Good luck.
:)