Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
CritterNut

Murphy jumped the barrier and attacked Apollo!

Murphy and Apollo have shared a 5 gallon for about a month now. Sometime during the night Murphy jumped the barrier ad attacked Apollo. When I found them this morning I quickly scooped Apollo from the tank. Murphy doesn't appear to be injured. Apollo, however, has little spots of blood around his head and ripped up fins. He didn't want to eat anything, and he's floating near the top of the cup, looking miserable. My hospital tank is occupied by a new female who I had to remove from the sorority for not playing nicely with the other girls. I have a few 1/2 gallon critter keepers and 2 one gallon bowls, and I have extra heaters on hand. Should I set up a bowl with a heater, stress coat and maybe aquarium salt? Or would epsom be better? I have both. Please help asap! I'm worried. His water parameters are good and his temperature is at 80 degrees. No history if illness that I know of and he's about 5 months old.

CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

I'd use one of the 2 gallon bowls, leave out the salt because it's a stressor in and of itself (just keep the water very clean), add the stress coat, lots of silk plants to hide in and lay on, and let him have a few days of feeling safe to recover. :)

As for your divider, if you can't make it taller, I've taken a narrow strip of plastic wrap, let it hang down into the water on one side of the divider up against it, and pulled it taught across the top where the wrap now meets your cover/lid/hood, whatever you use as a jumping-out-preventative. They can't jump over that, because there's no-where to jump *to*.

He's a cute boy, I hope he's feeling better soon!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #3 
CritterNut

thanks, I've set up the bowl on my nightstand with a heater, and I'm adding the stress coat now, so hopefully he'll feel better after a while. I think I will just get him his own 3 gallon. Murphy likes having the 5 gallon to himself, and now I'm paranoid, but I will take your advice with the 2 dividers in my 10 gallon to ensure that my hmpks don't take any leaps! Thank you!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #4 
CritterNut

He's already looking a little better, he was "sitting up" rather than floating on his side when I got back to him, ad now that he's inn the bowl he's acting a bit more normal.