Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #1 
dancersmama79

Question My baby girl Blue

I have a 20g community tank with several black mystery snails and 2 female bettas Blue and Baby Blue. Blue is about a yr old and Baby Blue is about 4 months. I have a filter and 2 heaters in their tank and feed once a day with the bettas alternating with bettamin and betta pellets and fasting once a week. I feed my snails carrots and grapes and algae wafers and the bettas also like the wafers. I do WCs once a week at least 9g. Ive noticed Blue being bloated and one of her eyes looking like popeye. I have attached pictures. I Have put her in an epsom salt bath with a heater and filter for the time being. does anyone have any suggestions to what may be causing this and how i can help my girl blue?? any changes i can make to prevent this in the future??
Attached Images

dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

Well first off let me tell you that algae wafers aren't good for bettas to eat. They are very bad for them. So they need to stop eating them immediately.

Why are you fasting them and for how long?

For a 20 gallon tank you need to remove more than 9 gallons a week since you have snails. Snails have a huge bioload and that isn't good for the bettas either. You need at least 50% WC and a 75% WC weekly. So 2 water changes one is 50% and one 75%. Then you need a 100% water change monthly.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #3 
dancersmama79

from what ive read fasting bettas helps keep them from getting constipation. My Miscalculation earlier... my WCs are 4 3g buckets weekly which is 12g.... and ive not ever done a 100% WC because i thought it would interrupt my cycled tank....
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 
txbettaowner

Water changes need to be done 100% monthly. Have you tested the nitrates, nitrites, pH, ammonia, etc in the tank?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #5 
dancersmama79

i usually fast my bettas once a week for 1-2 days. right now im fasting both of them for 2 days at least. the betta that is in the pictures is in an epsom salt bath and im fasting her for at least 2 days to see if constipation is her problem. im keeping her separate until further notice
Old 07-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #6 
txbettaowner

If you suspect Popeye then I would go get some Kanaplex and treat her and your other girl with it for 3 days. See if that helps. Get her out of the epsom salt. Kanaplex is made by Seachem.

Here is a link to Seachem's website, I would locate a distributor and get some very soon: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../KanaPlex.html
Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 
dancersmama79

i dont think she has popeye cause her eyes look better this morning. she has had a BM which is progress but she is still very bloated and her belly doesnt look much different than the pictures posted. but she is still active. all my levels in the tank are normal except the ammonia is a bit high. I tested the levels after the WC i did yesterday.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #8 
nmaybyte

Has Blue always been a ...how to say... hefty girl? Like, has she always been bigger in the belly?
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd just like to point out that bigger tanks do not need 100% monthly. It wouldn't interrupt the cycle unless everything dried out and then your BB dies but 100% monthly is not needed. 12 gallons each week will suffice just good enough! It's about 60% anyway and that's more than I'd do But a full filter cleaning each month would help.

As for the girl, if poop looks normal then it's not internal parasites. It does look like she's got pop-eye going on and she can stay in the ES solution. How much ES are you using dancer? 1 teaspoon per gallon? You can use the 1 teaspoon per gallon while you use Kanaplex, it's not that stressful on them and it will both help but she does need an antibiotic for sure.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #10 
dancersmama79

poop looks normal 1tsp per gal is what i used with one of my other bettas when she was sick. havent ever used kanaplex.... shes not ever been bloated like this.... she looks like she has a full size pea stuck in her left side... sometimes shes active but then ive noticed she floats to the top of the water and stays there for awhile her fins arent clamped or anything just like shes tired n wants to lay close to the top of the water...