Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #11 
dancersmama79

if i use kanaplex can i use it in the 20g or should i use it in the 1g quarantine i have her in
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You should get some Tetracycline then, most pet stores carry it and it's usually easy to fine. That or Erythromycin, both are antibiotics except the difference being that Tetracycline treats more of the gram positive and just some gram negative bacteria while Erythromycin treats more gram negative and some gram positive bacteria.

The thing about swollen abdomens and pop-eye being together is that it's generally caused by bacteria but there are two different kinds of bacteria; gram positive and gram negative. Most things are caused by gram negative but there are still some caused by the other. So I suggest starting with Erythromycin first and then if it doesn't work in a few days, try the Tetracycline and it should work just fine.

In the event of those medications, do not combine with Epsom salt.

EDIT: and all medications should be used in a QT container like you have her in now. It will be easier to do water changes and this way doesn't have bad effects on scaleless fish if you have plecos/catfish in the big tank.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #13 
dancersmama79

the only fish in the community tank are the 2 bettas and other than that i just have the snails thanks for the help
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If the other is a male Betta, she could be carrying egg's as well but there's still the issue of the pop-eye. And I still think you should use the QT tank for medicating just in case for the snails.

Also can you do twice weekly water changes on the 20 just for a couple of weeks? Like half way through the week do a 25% which is roughly 2 bucket's and then do your normal 4 buckets or just 3 buckets at the normal time you do you water changes? This will help fight anything that is in the tank if there is, it will make the water healthy too.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #15 
dancersmama79

both my bettas are females. here are some pictures of my younger one
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

oh okay, well that's another thing. You can't keep just two females, they will eventually hurt each other so much one will end up sick and die. Sororities need to have 4 or more females for them to work out because you need to spread aggression around so that not just one Betta is being picked on. Unless your tank is divided then that's fine.

But I do notice that your younger girl has stress stripes, telling me that she doesn't like something that just went on.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #17 
dancersmama79

i had 3 and one died then these 2 seem to be getting along just fine... ive read that sororities need to be kept in odd numbers....
Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Hi dancersmama. I'm sorry to hear about Blue. Do you have any other fish in the community besides the two betta girls, or just the two and snails? If you have other fish, then you may be all right just having the two because the other fish will act as distractions. Otherwise, the ideal number for sororities is a minimum of 4 girls although you can sometimes get away with just 3.

I agree with lilnaugrim totally that the bloating and the eye infection are indeed caused by two different types of bacteria, one gram negative and one gram positive. There is a possiblity that Blue's bloating could be caused from eating too much so it may be beneficial to keep her in just plain epsom salts at 2-3 tsps per gallon for a week without medication and no food. If the bloating and swelling don't go down, I suggest using Seachem Kanaplex because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic and will target both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. Unfortunately, this can be a hard medication to find and usually has to be ordered online. :( If you would rather not do that, then go with lilnaugrim's suggestion of using erythromycin to target the eye infection and add API General Cure. The metronidazole in this medication can be effective for internal anaerobic bacterial infections.

EDIT: If you use Kanaplex, it would be best to use it in the quarantine tank as snails do not tolerate medication very well. Use slightly less than half a scoop (the package comes with its own scoop) for 1 gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #19 
dancersmama79

Sakura ill probly stock up on all 3 medications... but i think ill probly use the kanaplex this time... My younger betta also looks like she has popeye
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #20 
dancersmama79

i also have about 18 snails that were the product of 2 adult snails that died and ill be getting rid of most of those..... i know snails put out alot of waste and that could also be causing the prob for my bettas.... without the snails how many female bettas could i comfortably house in a 20g tank?