Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #21 
txbettaowner

in a 20 gallon you could put up to 13 females in a 20 gallon tank. one gallon per inch of fish, each adult female is usually 2 inches long so 10 females would be fine but you could do up to 13 with appropriate water changes.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
in a 20 gallon you could put up to 13 females in a 20 gallon tank. one gallon per inch of fish, each adult female is usually 2 inches long so 10 females would be fine but you could do up to 13 with appropriate water changes.
Actually the one inch per gallon rule is a total myth. It's not how much space they take up for most fish but how much bio-load they have. And not all of them get up to 2 inches either, 2 inches in considered a Giant lol. But anyway, if the one inch per gallon were true, you could put a 5 inch Goldfish in a 5 gallon and they'd be fine! But we know that's not true!

Actually without other fish she could go right up to 15-18 fish in that tank. 20 would be the max since they're bio-load's aren't that big. But it's been suggested to keep it below the gallon max of your tank, so 15 would be the best number to have in a 20 without other fish.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #23 
dancersmama79

i have no other fish as of now but ive thought about trying to keep neon tetras but i know nothing about them.
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #24 
dancersmama79

i think for now tho im going to get these girls better and get rid of the snails except for a couple and get my tank stable and go from there...
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #25 
dancersmama79

Ive had to order their medicine online and it should be here tomorrow. i now have a 5.5g quarantine setup. Blue is still very bloated and has popeye and Baby blue isnt bloated but has popeye. Should i treat them both at the same time in the quarantine tank or should i treat them separately? the quarantine tank has a filter and a heater and temp is 80 degrees with nothing else in the water but seachem prime. i got rid of all my snails and needing suggestions on how to clean the 20 gal to make it safe to repopulate it to make it safe for the girls when they are better and for when i want to add more bettas....
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd treat them in separate containers just to reduce stress. Even if they are kind with each other it will still create not needed stress and a stressed sick fish is harder to medicate than one that is not stressed. So I think separate containers will be beneficial to them. Doesn't have to be a whole 5.5 gallons, any 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon will do just fine
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #27 
dancersmama79

right now i have them separated and Baby blues stress stripes have gone away. ive noticed her casually swimming instead of trying to hide...
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #28 
dancersmama79

ive not ever had sick that ive tried tro treat... my other 2 just died on me and i replaced them but i kept the snails. i think the snails bioload was just too much for that size of a tank and its affected the quality of the water.... not 100% sure tho
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could have been but it depends on how many snails you had (sorry can't remember) and if the tank was cycled and how often you clean it out

But they'll be okay separated. Baby Blue will be much happier when there are other girls that Blue can pick on instead of her so that's why she's swimming around right now since she's not threatened by Blue ^_^

Adding more silk/live plants and hides will really help keep stress levels down in the big tank as well so that's something you can do as well.

As for medicating, just follow the directions when you get it and it should be fine. Of course if something doesn't make sense or you need help deciphering it, go right ahead and ask here! We can help ^_^
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #30 
dancersmama79