Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #1 
Ezzie

Can a bettas fins never heal?

For more then a month now im battling with miltons fins to try my hardest to get them to the amazing look as they were before. With hardly any luck.

It all started with a 2 day stay with a ram cichlid round the 27th of June and after a day the ram was nipping miltons fins. The ram was rehomed but now I have a deformed betta who I'm struggling with.

I moved Milton into a 2.5 gallon hospital tank so easily do water changes and started a 10 day course of aquarium salts and API stress coat. It stopped the tiny amount of fin rot he had but it didn't show any regrowth.

I left treatments for a while just changing water with double doses of stress coat, and nothing.

5 days ago I started API melafix (controversial I KNOW) at 1/4 teaspoon as well as prime. I added a small air stone to help move the water on the surface, Milton is acting 100% perfectly fine, no struggling to breathe etc however while his fins don't appear to be getting worse, there still not getting better.

Guys I'm seriously concerned that he won't ever be the full finned rose tail he once was, instead a tattered and shredded finned betta.

I have a suspicion that he's tail biting, sometimes I see red flecks through the ends of his tail. Great right? As mean as it might sound I won't be buying long finned bettas ever again, this is the third one that dispite my uttermost care and heap end up with some kind of fin related problems.

I have attached a photo of his current fins. If you see any regrowth / rot / any signs that he is healing please let me know and please let me know what else I could do for him.. Does he still have a chance?
Attached Images

Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
Ezzie

Here's another photo
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #3 
Ezzie

And last one that's fairly clear, see the clear small flecks at the ends, is that regrowth?
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So this has been healing for a month now?

It could take a lot longer to heal since there is so much he has to heal. Thankfully the caudal is quickest healing fin I find. My boy took a chunk out of his caudal by biting and it took about 2 months to fully heal up so I expect this boy to take at least 4-5 months to full heal with Stress Coat and adequate water changes.

You can stop using any sort of MelaFix and salt it's not needed. All he has to do right now is just grow out his fins and I see no evidence of fin rot now. It'd be quite apparent on him which is a good thing technically! I've got a fish who has natural black edging so it's really hard to tell when he's got fin rot!

But I think he'll be just fine! Is he still in the 2.5 gallon? If so, I suggest doing at least an every other day water change around 50-80% if you can. this will help stimulate fin growth as well as a good diet. So what are you feeding him? Vita-Chem is something else that will help him heal faster, fish vitamins! They keep him healthy just as human vitamins keep us healthy and working! So that might be something to look into, I think you can really only buy it online though.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 
Ezzie

Thanks for the fast reply!
It really calms you down having someone else's opinion.
I am currently doing 100% water changes every 2-3 days, should I just stick to this? Ill stop the melafix tomorrow when I do another water change.

He is currently getting hikari betta pellets, they are basically the only ones avaliable in my area :S

Eventually I'm going to build him a 5 gallon cycled and aquascape-esk tank, but I wanted to heal his fins up firs, so until I get that up and running he will remain in the 2.5gal :)

Do you think he's biting his fins? I was worried about the red flecks I sometimes see..
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the water changes you're doing now will be good for sure. And He may be biting them a little bit, I do see small chunks taken out so it is a possibility. Keep an eye on him and see if there is anything that really frustrates him, that can lead to biting.

Also, Hikari used to be good but it'd be better if you can get Omega or NLS. The addition of Frozen BW's or Brine Shrimp will be great for regenerating fins as well!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 
karenluvsbettas623

Don't worry, they will grow back. Take allot of pictures so you can compare the progress. Even if he doesn't go back to the way he was before, its not the worst thing in the world. Milton is still beautiful. Just keep up the clean water. 1 month is not nearly enough time since almost half of his tail was gone. Just be patient.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #8 
Ezzie

I did a 100% water change today and added the small HOB filter i had running off another tank, it couldn't hurt right? The flows pretty low but ill watch how he goes and if its too much ill just put the filter back on the other tank

I also treated water with Prime and stress coat, hes in a holding cup accumulating to the new water.

I'm more confident that his fins will heal, hopefully if he doesn't bite at them anymore Maybe having a small current will take his mind off his tail?

Thanks for the support guys, it really helps!!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #9 
Ezzie

Miltons swimming ability seems unaffected with the filter so thats a big !! He seems more active as well with a current so hopefully he will enjoy it
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great! I'm glad he filter is working out! Yeah, it can't hurt unless he was biting because of it, but otherwise it should be just fine!!

Yeah, it's going to take a while but he'll grow them out again ^_^ just patients and Stress Coat