Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 
IttyBittyBetta

Using TSS in Fishless cycling?

I just got TSS to get the nitrogen cycle going quicker but still dont like putting my Betta through the stress.

Another forum suggested that pure ammonia be used instead of the fish as an ammonia source. Further down however it was called into question whether the bacteria could handle 4-5.ppm ammonia, or if the ammonia would overwhelm it.

What do y'all think? I wont have my filter for a few more days yet so cannot test it.

Last edited by Romad; 07-30-2013 at 08:25 PM.
IttyBittyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Don't think you are supposed to post links for other forums... (just for further future references :) )

Pure ammonia could be added, as long as you have a back up for the fish to be in.

Personally, I've never bothered adding stuff to my tanks. Fish food was enough to create ammonia, or even a feeder fish or two for "fish in" (later rehomed). Some people here use raw shrimp and panty hose... Which is just as messy as fish food

A tank should cycle between 4-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Rushing it really does no good. There is a kick start way - if there is a healthy cycled tank you can use their filter cartridge, swish it in the water, even place it in your filter and kick start your tank's cycle.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #3 
Flyby Stardancer

I used pure ammonia to cycle my tank. I preferred that, because then I could control the amount of ammonia being added and how quickly. I also didn't do 4ppm ammonia. Ammonia levels can be adjusted for tank size and projected stocking. Since mine was one betta in a 5 gallon, I did a starting dose of 1ppm, and then a maintenance dose of .5ppm. 4ppm is really what's needed for large tanks, like 55 or 75 gallons.

And yes, 5ppm ammonia will stall the cycling process.

I have no experience with Tetra SafeStart, so I can't comment on it.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've had tanks cycle safely and quickly with 6.0ppm ammonia.

TSS works fine in a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, if you're reluctant to use it with fish-in.

I'll start my next tank with Dr. Tim's One-and-Only. That's like TSS only hhipped fresh from the factory, guaranteed fresh.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #5 
gbose

I would just do 2-3 PPM; it's enough...
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote