Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 
lovemyfish99

fin rot, uncycled water

Hello all, I am wondering which way to handle this. I have a DT who is residing in a 6.6 gal tank which is almost 4 weeks into the cycle. Puck is the one 'cycle fish', and I've been doing water changes, but I'm thinking it wasn't enough. Zero ammonia after 5 days (and every day now), but I'm sure we're near the top of the nitrite curve. Edges of his fins are becoming tattered, and he looks more like a crown tail :(

Would it be better to put him in a 1 gal with daily water changes, but no heater, or keep him in the 6.6 with salt and a constant 80-82 degree water? Zero ammonia in the tank, but I'm sure we're near the top of the nitrite curve. It may be two more weeks before it fully cycles. The 1 gal tanks stay between 74-76.

Any thoughts?
lovemyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you not been testing for nitrites or nitrates? I would do that to see where you are in the cycle. You could only be half way there. I've had fish IN cycles take up to 8 wks or longer. His tattered fins could be from something in the tank like plants, decorations, the filter. Have you checked all of those things? Do you think he has fin rot? Is that why you added the salt? If you move him to the smaller tank what is going to be your ammonia source for the cycling tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 
lovemyfish99

Hi Shellieca, thanks. I lost my test kit at the other house (looked for it Sunday) so I don't really know the nitrites. And yes, that is why the salt, to protect from brown-blood disease. I seeded the filter with a scrub pad from the pond, so I'm hoping it cycles faster. There are no decorations in the tank (not yet). This little guy has had fin rot before, blew out all his fins about 4 weeks ago, and he recovered nicely. As for ammonia, I could swap him for another betta, or I could add one drop of my own (eww, I know, but it works) I just don't want to see all his fins disintegrate before the tank is finished cycling.

Last edited by lovemyfish99; 07-30-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You have pure ammonia for cycling? Good. What I would do is keep him and treat him in the show tank. Cycle the filter in the 1g using ammonia. (Use Tetra Safestart if you're in a hurry, or better yet Dr Tim's One-Aand-Only online).

When the filter is cycled and full of nitrifying bacteria, transfer it to the show tank. It will be instantly cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #5 
lovemyfish99

Thanks Hallyx, I'm going to transfer him to the 1 gal w/salt today. He should be warm enough over the weekend (office has AC turned off, gets nicely warm).

The tank has had an ammonia reading of 0 since day 5, and I'm on day 27, so I'm hoping seeding the filter has shortened the cycle. Hopefully my tenants can find and bring my master test kit tomorrow.

I don't use pure ammonia or SafeStart, I use my own urine. Yes, sounds weird, but it's the most natural way to add ammonia to a tank/pond.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #6 
gbose

Lovemyfish,

You misunderstood Hallyx's advice. Keep the Betta in the big (6.6G) tank. Do daily 50% water changes. Move the filter to the 1G and cycle it there.

BTW, I really don't suggest urine as an ammonia source, as it could contain other toxins. Go to ACE hardware and get 'Janitorial Strength Ammonia/ (white plastic bottle, red label).

Good luck!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 
lovemyfish99

*ugh* totally misread that one...so busy today.

The 1 gals have no filter, so I change the water 100% every other day. My other betta is doing great in his. I am trying to choose between keeping Puck in the 6 gal which may or may not be fully cycled, or putting him in the unfiltered 1 gal without a heater. Which is better? I'm worried about the weekend.

[Urine is sterile (no toxins) and we ponders have been doing it for years, but that is a discussion for another day I think ;)]
Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

I don't cycle any of my tanks even 5 gall so i am no help on cycling. But i don't see anything wrong putting betta in one gall tank for the treatment, usually it what recommended any way.
And are you treating him with the therapeutic dose of the salt , or you follow the box instructions which are just for preventative care and will not help as for the treatment.
Also i am wondering if he might bite his fins? Does he has black, discolored ends like they are '' smudged''?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #9 
lovemyfish99

Hi Bettachkalove, thnx for the response. He definitely has rot, every edge of every fins is in tatters, and it's worse this morning. They are disintegrating between the rays, and seriously, he looks like a wicked CT. I'll try to get a picture of him today.

Ammonia shot up to .50 over the weekend, so I'm going to have to take him home to treat. Salt is at 1 tsp/gal, but I think I'll bring it up to 2 tsp/gal. Temp is at 76, finding it really hard to heat that small of a tank.

Oh, and I've seen tail biting with my VT Steve, who had never done it before, only started after he got some live blood worms, and decided his tail looked suspiciously like a wiggly piece of food...:( only took off a few days to destroy half his tail, and he's in hospital now too.

Now the other HM is having floating issues. It seems every other week he's bobbing at the surface on his side like a cork, and I have to treat with epsom salts for a few days.

I don't remember ever having this many issues with bettas in the past. Has breeding practices ruined them like so many other popular pets??
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfish99 View Post
I don't remember ever having this many issues with bettas in the past. Has breeding practices ruined them like so many other popular pets??
I haven't been keeping Betta long enough to have a personal opinion. But from discussions among experienced keepers on this and other forums, I'm getting that impression.

My next fish will be purchased from a well-regarded breeder on this forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote