Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #1 
GinjaHaZ

Question A Little Conflicted

So about 2-3 months ago, my friend's guinea pig died so another friend of ours got her a male HM (since PetSmart was out of Guinea pigs). He sits there in a one gallon bowl with basically nothing and a once a week water change. When I told her he needed more than that, she said she was bored of him, and that she would give him to me since I've been considering another betta for a while now. That was a couple of weeks ago. Now, when I bring up getting the betta from her, she brushes it off and seems really reluctant. I starting to think Thud, that's his name, is already dead though I'm hoping he's not... So should I push it more or let it go and just get another one from the store?
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #2 
shannonpwns

Go visit her and, very casually, ask to see Thud. That's what I'd do. Hang out for a bit and be like "oh! How's your fish doing? Can I say hi to him?"

He may not be dead...hopefully. About 10 years ago, my sister had a Betta for a long time that she kept in one of those Betta desktop bowls, maybe 32quarts at the most, changed his water only once a week (if she remembered), and her fish lived at least a year. Mind you, this was before I knew anything about these fish, or I woulda said something lol.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 
Lamb

32 quarts is pretty large, 4 quarts are in a gallon. Lol. Did you mean ounces? I

If she did more water changes and gave him plants and other hiding places, I'm sure he will be fine. Are you sure she doesn't do anymore than 1 a week? If you're curious about him, you could buy a silk plant and tell her that it's for him, and that you'll help set it up for her. ? Like pp said, and visit.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #4 
shannonpwns

Yea ounces lol. It was 3 am....haha.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #5 
karenluvsbettas623

Just ask her directly. "hey, remember you said I could have your fish ? I have everything ready to take him home with me, when can I pick him up?"
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #6 
Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Yea ounces lol. It was 3 am....haha.
I figured as much! I thought it was either autocorrect or it was late. :)
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #7 
GinjaHaZ

I live in a geological oddity where it's 20 minutes from everywhere so going to her house is harder since I dont go to the school that's near her anymore..and I would know upon walking into her house if he was dead or not. She keeps him on the counter in the kitchen.
And yes, Lamb. Sadly it is just once a week with nothing in between. She told me herself that's what she did and scoffs at me for spending so much on "just a $2 fish."
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #8 
shellieca

I would push the issue but then I tend be a little pushy. I hate when people tell me something & then they don't follow through. So I either force the issue or move on.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 
GinjaHaZ

Yeah, I'm not a pushy person at all (nothing wrong with that though) but I think I'll push this issue. I'm to the point where I dont want to see any animal go home with her. :/
Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Good luck getting him!!! I really hope Thud is still alive and happy to go home with you!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, dead, friends